Find and vote for your favorite ideas for Ease of Access on Xbox

Resizable Fonts Across the System

Some of us are getting older, and the decrease of the fonts on screen it's making deaf and foreign people seat nearer of the screen to read the text and subtitles. Some devs doesn't care about this when they are developing games on the pc screens, but our tv can be farer than they think.

So make mandatory to have resizeable fonts for game subtitles and also implement it on the OS

358 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

iotxotorena shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree 1000%.
        I was just thinking this the other day. I have a small tv and some games I have to strain my eyes trying read the screen. And I find that I get migraines after awhile.
        But I wonder how they will do that with every game...
        Isn't it the game's developer/s decision to do that?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Console messages are fine for me but game content is too small, I have that issue with a few games that I can’t read the text and sitting closer is not an option

• Adrienne Lewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My vision has been getting worse and it would be very useful if i could make the subtitles bigger so I do not have to sit as close to the screen on some of my games

• Lord Shakaka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More recent games have adopted small or even tiny font to make the game play screen pleasing. However, if you do not have a large screen to play on or are far enough away, it is near impossible to read without perfect vision. There has to be a better option. Either font scaling, font bold and color change. Some games use white letters on a gold or yellow background (example: Neverwinter professions experience boxes.). Just not enough contrast to read comfortably.

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although it is rare, some games (such as Warlock of Firetop Mountain and God of War) offer control over text size. So if a system level text size preference is implemented that could be a good bit of data to expose to game developers, so they can read it and apply as their own default too.

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Text size is an extremely common accessibility complaint. Control over text size is common on other platforms, and is now starting to be seen to a limited extent on consoles.

However default text size also needs addressing, ideally adhering to a minimum of 28px-32px@1080p (46px for text that appears for a limited time, such as subtitles/captions).

• GinsuVictim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be particularly helpful in their push for accessibility. My vision isn't the best, and sometimes I have to walk up to the TV just to see what something says because of these tiny fonts.

• SwordofWhedon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Subtitles are stored as pre-rendered graphics with a transparency. Producing subtitles on the fly is a feature that’s been included since DVD, but never used on commercial titles. It’s unlikely they would devote the cycles to it, as it’s suprisingly intensive to render and overlay them with proper timing. Including. Multiple prerendered sizes is likely more practical.

There’s already accessibility features for larger fonts and magnification in the OS

• EnderXen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Xbox should provide some font service to help developers also as Microsoft developed a lot of assistance on Windows 10.

• Vagelis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really need the ability to change font size, it looks like most of the games and apps are designed for a "computer monitor distance"

What Exactly Does Ease of Access Mean?

We're looking for new hardware and software suggestions that will make it easier for people with disabilities to enjoy the Xbox console and services. We’re eager to learn more from you and to share that information as a team.

We look forward to receiving and exploring your feature requests via Xbox Ideas. Let’s build a more inclusive Xbox together!

Feedback and Knowledge Base

About This Site

Xbox Ideas is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.

• What happened to Xbox Feedback? Start here.
      • Got a question about Xbox Ideas? Go here.
      • Check out the UserVoice Privacy Policy.
      • Need help with your Xbox experience? Find support information at http://support.xbox.com/