Find and vote for your favorite ideas for Ease of Access on Xbox

Allow Voice Commands in Games Via Headsets

Kinect was as much about speech recognition as it was about motion tracking. But games that employed voice commands almost exclusively did so via the Kinect hardware and not by headset microphones. Since then, Cortana was integrated into Xbox. But it is only applied to the Xbox interface and not to games.

If voice commands via any headset (not exclusively through Microsoft accessories) were supported for games, it would greatly advance the console in two ways.

First, it would empower disabled gamers by supplanting or augmenting motor controls with voice controls, thereby expanding and improving accessibility.

Second, it would help level the playing field among Xbox and PC gamers (in an era of Play Anywhere games, some with cross-platform multiplayer) by substituting voice commands for the many control input options available on PC keyboards.

If smartphones have sufficient processing power to integrate voice commands into apps and games, then surely any technical barriers on Xbox are not insurmountable. Unleash voice controls on Xbox!

571 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

hallower shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Misti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree it is an individual dev thing. However, I used the **** out of voice commands when they were integrated into games like skyrim simply because it was easier than pausing every five minutes to switch shouts or whatever it was i was doing at the time.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Isn't this already a thing? Can't you currently plug in a headset and say "Hey Cortana"? I'm pretty sure this is true and she has all the functionality of her Kinect counterpart for audio.
        This was implemented sometime middle of last year I believe, or am I misunderstanding the suggestion?
        To be clear, what I'm saying is game studios have access to it in the XDK and are choosing to not utilize it. This should be an issue with the individual game creators, not necessarily Xbox. Am I wrong here?

• Noheban commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People USED Kinect! Its why Apple bought the technology and use it in phones now. They just wanted it to be more efficient, but that other guy was right about one thing, the individual developers WOULD have to be the ones to make that call. I don't think that Microsoft is in the business of forcing developers to do things of that natural specifically for them anymore.

• SwordofWhedon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something individual developers have to integrate. Since virtually no one used Kinect options, even when they were present, developers stopped including them.

So you need to make your case to individual developers. Microsoft can’t just make games work like that (outside their own)it has to be a ground up design item.

Rumor has it that integration with Alexa and Google may be announced at E3, which would probably go a long way toward achieving your goals. Having an independently running Alexa skill that can be used across platforms would certainly be more attractive to developers as it can be used on all platforms

Best of luck to you!

What Exactly Does Ease of Access Mean?

We're looking for new hardware and software suggestions that will make it easier for people with disabilities to enjoy the Xbox console and services. We’re eager to learn more from you and to share that information as a team.

We look forward to receiving and exploring your feature requests via Xbox Ideas. Let’s build a more inclusive Xbox together!

Feedback and Knowledge Base

About This Site

Xbox Ideas is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.

• What happened to Xbox Feedback? Start here.
      • Got a question about Xbox Ideas? Go here.
      • Check out the UserVoice Privacy Policy.
      • Need help with your Xbox experience? Find support information at http://support.xbox.com/