Find and vote for your favorite ideas for Ease of Access on Xbox

Pre-defined chat messages

Having a set of pre-defined chat messages (ideally pre-definable by users) could be useful for many people, but particularly valuable for people who find typing a difficult, painful or lengthy process, including common ground between impaired motor ability, hearing loss, and impaired speech.

It could be particularly powerful if combined with switch access and speech <-> text.

Having a basic set of presets has another use case; a parental lock to only allow sending/receiving messages that are constructed from those presets. This is a common approach in online environments aimed at or with a high proportion of children, such as Club Penguin and RuneScape.

261 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ian shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard Brook commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just having a proper predictive text on the keyboard would be a start. Really bugs me that it doesnt remember words I use frequently or save words not in its dictionary. Would be really quick to fire off messages if the words you commonly used got pushed to the top of the predictive text list

• Jamie Roberts (jamieisboss) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't often use voice chat due to disability, text chat is no use for fast paced communication in an FPS game for example, being able to predefine messages would make a huge difference, being able to have them read aloud by the text-to-speech engine would be even better and would make a huge difference to being able to participate.

Being able to map those predefined messages to the keys on a USB keyboard would be a literal game-changer. If I could have a cheap wireless keyboard next to me so I could choose from a usable range of pre-defined phrases I'd be able to communicate almost as well as if I could use voice chat. With text-to-speech as well I'd be able to just join in, which would be such a difference I can't even express it properly

• Arminator commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This might also be of benefit to people who can normally type, but would like to have predefined texts.
        For example, if I'm in the middle of a heated multiplayer match, and I get a Live message or Party Invite, I could have a predefined answer like "I'm currently in a multiplayer match. I'll reply later!" or something like that.

What Exactly Does Ease of Access Mean?

We're looking for new hardware and software suggestions that will make it easier for people with disabilities to enjoy the Xbox console and services. We’re eager to learn more from you and to share that information as a team.

We look forward to receiving and exploring your feature requests via Xbox Ideas. Let’s build a more inclusive Xbox together!

Feedback and Knowledge Base

About This Site

Xbox Ideas is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.

• What happened to Xbox Feedback? Start here.
      • Got a question about Xbox Ideas? Go here.
      • Check out the UserVoice Privacy Policy.
      • Need help with your Xbox experience? Find support information at http://support.xbox.com/