Find and vote for your favorite ideas for Ease of Access on Xbox

Allow Users to Change the Position of Notifications to Not Obscure Content

Ensure system level functionality does not interfere with in-game accessibility functionality. An example is system notifications appearing in the bottom-middle, where they obscure in-game subtitling/captioning.

Bottom/middle subtitle positioning is standard across industries, so the notifications need to be positioned somewhere else. Notifications appearing at the bottom-middle can sometimes be game-breaking even for players who don’t have subtitles turned on. For example, Telltale’s games, where notifications obscure conversation choices; choices that a player must read and choose from within a time window of just a few seconds.

Bottom-middle aside, the bottom corners usually have more critical information (i.e. information that needs to be referred to more often) in them than the rest of the screen, so top middle or top corners would be better.

554 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ian shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Xander Gerard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I may be mistaken, but I believe there was a feature for pop-ups to change placement based on your activity. For example, while playing games pop-ups would be on the bottom of the screen, as usual, but if you were watching a show/movie, it would move to the top. SUPER HELPFUL when you're watching media with subtitles.

• Cozmo Robot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Making the notifications slimmer would help. The existing windows taskbar could be an inspiration along with the ability to change its position.

• kim byeong cheol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You must move the bottom display to another location.
        Users who see subtitles are not comfortable with the display window that appears briefly below.
        Challenges and friend notifications and messages are here.

It would be a little easier if you floated the bottom display window from a different position.

• Zumo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I enjoy knowing when my friends are online or when they send party invites, and the "do not disturb" function is also amazing, however when I am watching a TV show or anime or anything the notification gets in my way right over the dialog. I think it would be amazing if in the notifications settings you could have a "placement" option like how the party overlay does it. Thank you for your time and I hope this becomes something

• Gareth Kirk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is currently done in the same way as the 360. It is the developers responsibility to move them

• OLF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to be able to set the position of the popup notification per game. It would also be nice to be able to determine the size of the message.
        For large screens, the display does not have to be as big as it is at the moment.

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey moderators, you reworded the title, it doesn't make sense now! This suggestion is not about allowing users to change the positions of notifications. It is about Xbox changing their location across the board. Or potentially allowing developers to configure them, as was the case on the 360.

What Exactly Does Ease of Access Mean?

We're looking for new hardware and software suggestions that will make it easier for people with disabilities to enjoy the Xbox console and services. We’re eager to learn more from you and to share that information as a team.

We look forward to receiving and exploring your feature requests via Xbox Ideas. Let’s build a more inclusive Xbox together!

Feedback and Knowledge Base

About This Site

Xbox Ideas is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.

• What happened to Xbox Feedback? Start here.
      • Got a question about Xbox Ideas? Go here.
      • Check out the UserVoice Privacy Policy.
      • Need help with your Xbox experience? Find support information at http://support.xbox.com/