Find and vote for your favorite ideas for Family Settings and Child Accounts

Allow Child Accounts to Have Custom Gamerpics With Parental Permission

Let parent accounts be able to allow the child accounts access to custom gamerpics on their profile with permission.

204 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminGuru Kronos (Admin, Xbox) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In response to what George said: If you as a parent are not on with what your child is posting online perhaps you should better teach your child what is unacceptable? Me and my girlfriend both babysit several children as a side job in addition to actual jobs and we instill values in those children such as understanding what’s right and wrong, in doing so we have made sure they won’t be out doing stuff like that at least to an extent. I myself am heavily against censorship. I believe sheltering people only prevents them from learning from their mistakes and actually making proper progress. People didn’t invent the wheel by being sheltered and told everything was alright - they invented it through trial and error. Also faking a parental account is not as easy as it may sound, in addition to this if your child can fake a parental account they can - just as easily if not even easier - create a new account that’s registered as over 18 years of age. In the modern Information Age the online world has many roses with those come many thorns. At the end of the day I would conclude my statement by saying the following: If you don’t want your child to post bad content online simply don’t allow them to be online period. It’s close minded to say the least to try and ruin a system for everyone else because you feel uncomfortable about the possibility of something going wrong for your child in specific. The best way to protect him/her is to just keep them offline altogether. Though I’d hate to see that happen - yes hate is a strong word I believe suits my feeling toward that - it would ultimately be your choice as a parent.

• Nev Waterreus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So I accidentally put my account age as a child and I was thinking I have little kids as friends that have made second accounts to change the picture of their profile so why not add in custom pictures with consent it makes sense and would encourage kids or parents to use Microsoft family a lot more because they can rely on that idea ? remember kids like little thing like pictures that they think that would make them look cool online so if you think it’s a good idea please vote

Thank you Nev Waterreus

• Nev Waterreus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this would be awesome as some people might have set there Xbox profile as a child by accident

• George commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No way as a parent I dont like that at all because u can fake a parent account or work around it and then child accounts post **** that is not acceptable

• Ashley Schroeder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea. Allow people with child accounts to set custom gamer pictures, so long as they have the consent of someone with a parent account. I'm a 15 year old and know what's inappropriate and what's not. I've been struggling with this issue for ages now. It would be great if this feature was added soon.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I myself have had this dilemma hit me. I’m currently 17 - meaning I drive, have a legitimate job, and can do a wide variety of other things - yet I cannot change a simple profile picture. Some people have said it makes absolutely zero sense on Microsoft’s part, that’s actually untrue. From a corporate standpoint you must remember what they are dealing with, a bigger picture than you or I. They handle things like that one 10 y/o Fortnite Gamer who puts his profile pic as his **** and causes issues for Microsoft when that child’s parents call up their lawyer and he proceeds to demand to know why, “Microsoft allowed such a thing to happen”. There are other ways to handle this sort of issue most likely, which have been mentioned such as:
        - Child Accounts must have parental consent to post a profile picture. Meaning the parent must view the picture to tell if it’s appropriate in their eyes. This prevents IRL photos from being posted altogether for children yet alone explicit images.
        - Microsoft implements an automated censor bot. This detects images that may be inappropriate or otherwise violate their TOS. I’m guessing they already have a system like this implemented and I’m just not aware.
        - Addition of a “profile picture” permission to Child account settings. This would allow anyone who’s listed as a Child to have a custom profile picture if their parent has this privacy setting bubbled in as allow.

To end my short rant here, I’ll say that I registered honestly under my real age when setting up my account, only to seemingly have that honesty ******* in the rear in the form of customization being locked behind an age wall. I worked with my father to try and find a fix to no avail which is why I’ve commented here.
        If Microsoft Administration has taken the time to view this which I believe they have, hopefully this feature will be implemented across their consoles in the near future, just hopefully not so far into the future I’ll be an adult by aging into it.

• Kevin Sinclair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm actually baffled about how many people are having this problem. Whether it be on YouTube, the Xbox website, etc. Yet Xbox has yet to do anything about it. We aren't asking for much. We're only asking for the ability to change our "gamer pic" to a custom image of our choice. What's the reason for child accounts not being able to do this? What's the point? What's the silver lining? Oh, you don't want an 8 year old to lut an inappropriate picture? But there are those older than 18 who are more likely to do such. For Christ's sake, I'm 13 years old. I wasted 2 hours trying to figure this out just to find out that the people who are also having problems like mine is greater than the population of China. And what's Microsoft/Xbox doing about this? They see how many are bothered by this. Children, Adults, whoever it may be—and what are they doing? Jack sh*t, that's what they're doing.

• TJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this needing to be an option. There's no reason why my child should not be able to use a custom picture.

• Umbra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is literally no reason why we can't use custom gamer pictures. I'm in a situation where my Dad created my account, so he put in my DOB while most of people I know lied about their DOB, meaning they all have custom images but I can't. Do I really have to wait 2 years just to add my custom picture of an anime character? It's just ridiculous, this is the first time I've seen a service restrict profile pictures. If MS want to add you need approval from parents, then fine, I understand that. But locking everyone under 18 out from using such a simple but expressive feature? It's insane, I really hope this gets changed. I've already wanted quite a long time to change my picture. I hope this gets changed.

• Sammygpi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wonder if they are listening
        Hope so because I'll have to wait 3 more years just for a simple feature that should be optional

• Liam Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think instead of "Child account" preventions (basically can't join clubs or have custom pictures until you're 18) blocking what you do, it should be in the family settings: If the parents want to be protective, make it so they can't do it until 18. If they want kids to join a Fortnite club at 10 years old, allow it.
        Parents make the rules for their children, not Microsoft makes the rules for the world.

Incredibly annoying for me right now: 17 years old so I'm not a child (legally one although kids can't drive, work or buy lottery tickets ¬_¬), but I can't join a club or have a custom gamer picture.

I talked to Xbox Support about possibly fixing the kid block (and they can't), but they love this idea and said they would vote for it on here. They also agreed that the kid block in general is stupid.
        Xbox staff likes it, so it must be good.

• Dylan Woods commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something I myself have been asking for a while. I myself am a child although I am more of a late teen. But my account is a child account. Not being able to express myself by using a custom gamerpicture is quite frustrating. Hopefully this gets implemented in the foreseeable future

• John C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely ridiculous that my children's friends have custom gamerpics only because their parents "cheated" the system and made them adult accounts right off the bat. I like having them on child account to limit screen time, but not allowing gamerpics make me feel like I did wrong by playing by the rules.
        Yes, I can see the side of NOT regulating this to an extent, but there has to be a way to get parental permission of each, specific gamerpic. If it's then inappropriate in any way, then the parent is held responsible.

• Andru Hurtado commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been waiting for the past 4-5 year for my account to be promoted to a adult account. I'm still having to wait at most 4 years till I can acquire a custom gamerpic. It would be useful to keep the account while have the ability to change your gamerpic and not have the same old default gamerpic Microsoft offers you. Please, change this for all of us

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

About This Site

Xbox Ideas is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.

• What happened to Xbox Feedback? Start here.
      • Got a question about Xbox Ideas? Go here.
      • Check out the UserVoice Privacy Policy.
      • Need help with your Xbox experience? Find support information at http://support.xbox.com/