Find and vote for your favorite ideas for Family Settings and Child Accounts

Allow Users To Promote from Child to Adult Accounts and Vice Versa

We should be able to promote a child account to an adult account and vice/versa for accounts in the family.

215 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminGuru Kronos (Admin, Xbox) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Justin Harmon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I created my Xbox live account when I was ten and my parents put a parental account on my account which made it a child account and the birth date on the account doesn't match my actual birth date and so i was with xbox support for two days and they made me do this age verification which fixed my birth date on my Microsoft account but not Xbox they told me that it goes by original birth date the account was created. i think the policy should be updated to where if you have shown proof that you are of legal age then xbox should be able to fix it. which would solve the problem of not being able to access the parent account to change the child account to adult account cause under there current policy that the only way to do

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had this issue just recently, where I had to migrate an adult account to a child account, due to incorrectly initially setting it up. As a result, I had to pay $9.99 to create a new gamertag. This is really disappointing, and really feels unfair.

When you first sign up for Xbox and your child starts to plays on a gamertag, allow that gamertag to be moved to a child account. We didn't realize he needed a child account to restrict things and now he will lose his friends and game progress.

• JustInsane3014 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if you change your child’s Microsoft account’s age to over 18 years old, it still won’t let them access things like the Xbox Insider Hub, Custom images, and some features in some games. Having a setting to give access to these features would make it so parents have more control of what their children can and cannot do.

• Maxpain827 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think we should be able to change the child to adult account freely my account has been stuck on child for 7 years now... Ask tech they cant do anything so im praying someone will finally do something. I'll pay a fee I don't care I just want my account adult.

You can't change your account to an adult account if you've accidentally but the wrong DOB in or just want to change it from a child
        account to an adult on Xbox but you can on Microsoft, even if you've used age verification to show that your an adult, you still can't change it to an adult account on your Xbox profile.

If like me you set up your child's xbox using your email address but you need to control their screen time and now you have set them up their own MS child account, allow us to transfer that gamertag from the parents email to their child MS account

I have a child account that's in our family that cannot do a lot of what an adult account can do. There's no way to correct it even from Microsoft's side until the child becomes an adult in 5 years. We can't even migrate the games and membership to another account. If we could promote it to adult, there would be no problem -- It's a shame that so many parents are willing to lie for their kids to give them full access, but those that are honest but okay with certain content access are stuck in situations like this.

I would like to be able to move my child's gamertag and games that he bought to a brand new account now that he is an adult, but I still need to keep my existing Microsoft email account. I don't want to be paying for his Xbox account forever, and I don't want what he does an adult associated with my email address.

• Ethan Chandler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make it so you can Upgrade a child xbox live account to an adult account immediately by adding a credit/debit card to the child account.

• Liz G. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I made my child an Xbox account some years ago, and I want to change it to be an adult account.
        I've invested a lot of time (years) and money (hundreds of dollars at least) into this child account. It's incredibly frustrating and disappointing to me that even though I've put SO much effort into having the account switched over to an adult account, seemingly nothing can be done to handle it.
        I'm 33 years old, and I handle and pay for everything on the account. That being said, it's just not right that I can't make such a simple change. I understand the fundamental reasoning (protect kids, protect parents' finances, privacy, etc.) but it should NOT be "impossible" to do what I'm asking. It needs to be, ultimately, up to the parent what type of account it is. Microsoft is not my child's parent.

• Jett Fay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I was younger my parents made my account a child account but now that I’m older I want to play games and be able to play with other people on these games and make an account but since it’s a child account I can’t.

• Willie Bonner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allows accounts that have a user over 17 to have all permission as an adult account rather a minor basicly like an adult account has the ability to change there gamer pic but and person who is 17 should be able to do it to in my opinion.

• Louise Fisher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being new to gaming consoles we didn't understand we could have multiple accounts and therefore just had 1 main account set up that we all used. Our eldest child earnt achievements/points etc on the main account prior to us realising we could add individual accounts for each family member. We set up an additional account for 1 adult/parent and our youngest child but allowed our eldest keep using the initial account so that he didn't lose his achievements. We would now like to change the main account controls to the additional adult account and change the initial account over to a childs account in our childs name but the system will not allow it, we would like for this to be considered as a possible change.

• T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Console initially set up with my account, and child has been using for quite some time, (like so many here). Would love to be able to demote the account to a child account and let a 2nd adult in the family take over to allow the child to continue with his progress and game play but allow parents screen time monitoring and control.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want this fix so much, Ive had an issue with my account for close to 12 years that could be fixed with this.

• Cameron Earl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

O would like for there to be a way a child account can ne switched to an adult account if the parent consents to the change.

Im pretty sure that quite a few people that play games that offer cross platform play (Star Wars: Battlefront, Fortnite, Ark etc.) came across an issue where you cant play online or play on a different platform, i’m Sure that a few people I know specifically stoped playing Xbox because of this. I came across this issue as well but I’m willing to carry through with Microsoft. Please fix this issue it will help me and many other users, thank you

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

my kids started on xbox with my account and are now old enough to have their own accts. I want to make them child accounts so i can manage separate screen times but they don't want to lose all their game progress ! Please work toward a resolution for this .. seems like many want !

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

About This Site

Xbox Ideas is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.

• What happened to Xbox Feedback? Start here.
      • Got a question about Xbox Ideas? Go here.
      • Check out the UserVoice Privacy Policy.
      • Need help with your Xbox experience? Find support information at http://support.xbox.com/