Find and vote for your favorite ideas for Family Settings and Child Accounts

Let Parents Have the Option to Set Specific Game and App Screen Time Limits

Let me have the option to set specific screen time limits by game or app. Also, give parents the option to exclude games or apps from screen time limits entirely. There should also be notifications for when a specific amount of time has been spent in a game or app as well.

206 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminGuru Kronos (Admin, Xbox) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

38 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow primary account to be able to set screen time limits on subordinate adult accounts. I gave my kids adult accounts because Microsoft shouldn’t dictate which games I choose to let my kids play, but I still want to regulate their privileges. So either remove the game restriction on child accounts or let me set play time limits on adult accounts.

Allow children to play live on specific games and only with specific gamers. All or nothing, as it is now, means i have to go in and change settings on a regular basis which is not helping parents to parent.

My child has been playing fortnite and built his 'person' all before we knew about child accounts. Why not allow us to put time limits on adult accounts?

• Jason Gilbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When allowing your child more time on xbox or pc to have the option to extend time to a specific time, e.g 4:30pm or say 45mins more time. I usually extend time from my phone.

Currently you can only assign screen time to kids per days. Please implement the option to give them screen time on a weekly basis (e.g. 150 minutes per week).
        I want to give my kids some flexibility and empower them to take decisions and responsibilty for themselves. I don't want to schedule them like robots.

I would very much like to restrict my child's use of a certain game that he is not allowed to play because it i's his brothers game that is rated e for everyone but, again, not his. There is currently no way to block particular apps, so I'd find this very useful

Yes! Microsoft, please create a way to set screen times to the master adult account on an Xbox. This is desperately needed by parents. The child account workaround eliminates game progress for games that have been started on adult accounts. Either create a way to transfer progress to child accounts or allow time limits on adult accounts.

Allow for a weekly time allowance as well as daily, that allows child to budget his time if he wants more time in an individual session. So if he doesn’t play Monday or Tuesday he can use that time the rest of the week

My child like to play with his friends. If child setting account created, the child couldn't play with is buddies. I had set a child as adult account. I couldn't create screen time. I hate to tell my child to get out every single day. Creating a screen time for adult could solve this problem.

Allow screen time restrictions for adult users. This would allow us to set time restrictions on accounts without having to create a child account and lose game progress. Please!!

• Jason Sawicki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let adults self-impose screen time limits on XBOX or PCs, just like the child accounts. This would be a great way to support personal screen time management, even though it could be edited by the adult at any time.

I set up child accounts to restrict when the Xbox is used as well as for how long. However it turns out to be very cumbersome, e.g. a gold account is to be paid to play fornite (xbox live), and children apparently can't then play with their friends over the net. On top of that there might be scores and points being lost when they start to play through their own account rather than the one from the parents. All very complicated, it would facilitate everything when I could just limit time of playing and hours of usage on the parent account.

• Stephanie Watanabe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see screen time settings added to Parent/Adult accounts too. Many people who have had Xbox for a long time may have let their child play on their account because it’s easier. To go through the process of moving the child off of the parent account without losing their gamer tag and history seems complicated for busy parents or those not well versed in how Xbox works. I would also think it would be useful for adults to have the option to set time limits so they could play before work, school etc...without being late.

• Bruce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Include the option for screen time limits on adult accounts too.

• fastcars19 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like for prime example, or type a effin pass word every time I want to play gta5 I either have to unlock the entire system or basically none I have to monitor my son 24|7 while he plays or like have done delete the game and hide it from my Install list along with other games he can't play

• Johnny Rennemeyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a parent, I would like to be able to set screen time settings, both limits and tracking, for my account and for other parent accounts in my family. The main reason for this is to see my usage in different apps, similar to the new iOS 12 screen time settings. It would also allow me to see if my children are using my account when they shouldn’t. Finally, this would be useful for handicapped adults that are taken care of by other adults.

I let my child set up an account with my information, not knowing that time limits can't be set on an adult account. He used xbox gift cards to purchase games. When I tried to set a time limit on this account, it would not let me. I could have created an account for him, but then all of the games that he purchased would be lost. I would like to be able to set a time limit on my adult account.

It would be very useful to be able to limit screen time for adult accounts. I let my son log in through my account so he can only play when I have logged him in but I find I then cannot limit screen time through family settings. It might also be useful for adults attempting to cut down on their own screen time.

• Lori commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow the option to set screen time for adult accounts so they are trackable as well!

• Giovanni Bassi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now we can set screen time limits, but if an exception is needed we need to manually increase the limit, and later lower it back to the original value. My child should be able to request additional time, and I should be able to approve it using the XBox App on my phone, on the web, and I should get an email with the request, which I can approve in one click from the email body.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

About This Site

Xbox Ideas is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.

• What happened to Xbox Feedback? Start here.
      • Got a question about Xbox Ideas? Go here.
      • Check out the UserVoice Privacy Policy.
      • Need help with your Xbox experience? Find support information at http://support.xbox.com/