Find and vote for your favorite ideas for Family Settings and Child Accounts

Allow Gold privileges to roam with child accounts

So in our household we have two xboxes, with three kids. Two from my first marriage and one from my current marriage.

When my steps-son goes and visits his dad, he loses all the gold access that is granted by the "home" xbox.

This idea is to simply allow gold privileges to "follow" child accounts regardless of whether they are on the "home" xbox or not. This would benefit houses that have more than two xboxes in the household as only one gold subscription would need to be purchased, or in situations like mine where a child might be on a non-"home" xbox (without the parents account logged in).

269 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Paul Ferris shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

56 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with many of the commenters. The licensing structure is ridiculous when you have families, especially large ones. We currently have two XBoxes and three Surface Pros. I should be able to share games with my family on any system that my family uses. Tie the licenses and access to their login accounts rather than physical devices.

Heck, it would be nice to host games on the local network with my kids, similar to what we used to call LAN parties.

• Colin Maddison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to allow members of a Microsoft family account to share your Xbox live as I have 3 consoles in my home. This makes it impossible for my children to share my Xbox live privileges without such a option in place

• Matt Gutierrez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow accounts to share purchases with the family. I have 2 kids and 3 xboxes game sharing breaks down with more than 2 consoles. Allow me to purchase a game on my account and grant users in my family to also play those games without me being signed in.

• David S White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow all xbox in a single home to act as "home xbox"

Like many families I have 2 xbox consoles and would like to be able to use them interchangeably and get benefit for my family using my xbox live account on any of them and not have a single xbox home console limitation. That seems like an absurd limitation.

• Alejandro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I’d like a single digital license to be able to be shared between more than 2 xboxes as long as they are part of the same family. Being realistic, some ideas to prevent abuse would be to limit use to only one Microsoft account family or only within the home LAN. Either option would be an upgrade from the current status.

We have two Xbox One Consoles and a PC.
        - We have set one Xbox to "Home" that one child uses more
        - The other Xbox One with the parent account is used by the other child
        - The parent has to be signed in on the non-Home Xbox in order for the other child to access Gold and play with friends.
        The parent can only play with one child if it's the same game since they have to be logged in somewhere with more than one Xbox, in the same family.

Xbox Live Gold should not have limitations as the parent cannot play with more than one child at the same time if logged in. An example is Sea of Thieves; two kids can play together on the Xbox Consoles, but the parent cannot on the PC because they are logged in on one Xbox already, and are required to be for the 2nd child to play online.

Please either allow multiple users on multiple systems at once, and if need be charge an additional fee to allow additional users. Or, charge a small fee for an extra game license to allow additional family members to play together.

Is there a solution for this I'm not aware of? Prefer it all to be free of course for a family to play together!

• Wylie Grossman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Under one family account, Microsoft should allow up to 4 gamertags to be able to play online from different consoles at the same time. This would be a true family account when parents and siblings can all play online together as a family.

• Martin Spierings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Improve how divorced parents can manage their childs Xboxes and make it easier to do that with multiple accounts. And also allow sharing your own games or Xbox Live Gold to multiple Xboxes for when they have one at their rooms at multiple homes (or at least more than 1 console).

I have two Xbox machines at home. My son likes to play on both machines, but can only play my purchased games on the Home device. If he want's to play on the other one he has to have me sign in.
        Obviously, I purchase all the games, and my account has a passkey I keep to myself for obvious reasons. I am not always at home to log into my account.
        As long as two machines are on the same network, a child account should be able to play all games purchased by an adult without having to set it as a Home device.

• Jeffrey Schuster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something similar is a very important idea!

Personally, I don't need Gold to roam outside the house, but I do need more flexibility IN my house.

We are a family of 7, with 3 Xboxes and 2 Gold accounts now (both parents). All of our game purchases have been funneled through a single account.

We tied that account to the Xbox that our boys use, because that will need the most flexibility for both game access and internet access. That Xbox is our "Home" device.

That said, if we're having some family time in our living room (second, non-home Xbox) and someone else wants to use the third Xbox, things start to break down very quickly because only one account can access all the content at any one time. This is frustrating!

We need our "Home" settings tied to IP address, or Family Sharing, or something else. Please, Microsoft, help me!

All the comments read true! Microsoft you would sell a wholr lot more consoles if you allowed this for families, why do amazon, google and apple offer this and you don’t?

• PB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I buy an app on my iPhone/iPad, I can share that with my whole household of users. On XBox, other users can only use my content if they are on my home Xbox. This limits the household to effectively two Xbox'es, whereas I can have up to 6 family members with Apple, and each of them can have any number of devices with access to all that content.

If I want to have one Xbox in each bedroom, one in a play room and one in a mountain cabin, then only my personal user can be moved between them. That is hugely limiting for a large family.

• famgir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 3 physical consoles, 3 physical tvs, 1 parent account and 3 children accounts.

Xbox Live only allows 1 of my 3 xboxs to share live = 1 console is almost useless.

Can you allow 3? 4? or tie them all to the same IP from my 1 house? Seems reasonable with 3 consoles, 3 people, in same home to allow them to game together.

Thanks,
        Famgir

Yes Microsoft has caused more fights in my household than it is worth. I have a primary account for myself, but when wife wants to watch TV that xbox is off limits. So one son signs in on his xbox. But then other son signs on his and kicks the other out halfway through a fortnight match. This is crazy. I have 4 kids and should not be mediating fights. I have had live since it beta tested on the very original Dark Green XBOX, and this policy is causing too much stress and cost. Family Accounts.

Yes we have 4 kids and 4 xboxes with only one set to home but we have 3 others. The current setup causing lots of fights as when one signs in to primary account it kicks the other out of the game. Also I would like to buy one copy of a game and play with my kids, not need 4 copies of the game. I want it to be like amazon and google, and all family members get all games and privileges on all devices in the same home. However, I still need home xbox setting for our vacation home.

Why am I paying for multiple XB Live subscriptions when I own multiple consoles? Haven't I already paid my dues to Microsoft buy purchasing literally $1000's of dollars of hardware over the years? Now I have kids and they're going to get me for another $60 a year for a second VB Live account? Seriously? Microsoft, you can do better than this.

Family of 5 absolutely ludacris in the chaos of having to buy at minimum 2 copies for 4 of us to play and TWO live accounts. Again only 2. Family plans for 4 -6 users would suffice. I wouldn't mind spending more for Live for a large family. However, duplicate games and the 2 box limit is frustrating.
        I can see the ability to avuse this but with the added cost to a "Live family plan" maybe it would deter intentional non-families from opting to abuse the ability.

Allowing for multiple xboxes to have gold in one house without the gold holders log in. Like if you have dads xbox moms xbox brothers xbox and sisters xbox or something like that.

I have two Xbox ones in my home. My children roam between them both but can only play games on the one i’ve Designated as my “home” Xbox. My home has multiple xboxes, my gold account should be able to be tied to multiple xboxes as home xboxes. This would alleviate a lot of problems with my kids not being able to play games. We would also like to travel with our Xbox as the car has a built in screen. We aren’t allowed to play games since the one older Xbox we would take is not our home Xbox. This would allow users to travel with their Xbox without connecting it to a hotspot.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base

About This Site

Xbox Ideas is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.

• What happened to Xbox Feedback? Start here.
      • Got a question about Xbox Ideas? Go here.
      • Check out the UserVoice Privacy Policy.
      • Need help with your Xbox experience? Find support information at http://support.xbox.com/