Find and vote for your favorite ideas for Family Settings and Child Accounts

Allow Gold privileges to roam with child accounts

So in our household we have two xboxes, with three kids. Two from my first marriage and one from my current marriage.

When my steps-son goes and visits his dad, he loses all the gold access that is granted by the "home" xbox.

This idea is to simply allow gold privileges to "follow" child accounts regardless of whether they are on the "home" xbox or not. This would benefit houses that have more than two xboxes in the household as only one gold subscription would need to be purchased, or in situations like mine where a child might be on a non-"home" xbox (without the parents account logged in).

169 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Paul Ferris shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have two Xbox ones in my home. My children roam between them both but can only play games on the one i’ve Designated as my “home” Xbox. My home has multiple xboxes, my gold account should be able to be tied to multiple xboxes as home xboxes. This would alleviate a lot of problems with my kids not being able to play games. We would also like to travel with our Xbox as the car has a built in screen. We aren’t allowed to play games since the one older Xbox we would take is not our home Xbox. This would allow users to travel with their Xbox without connecting it to a hotspot.

• Anthony Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One excellent, and very reasonable, suggestion, to allow this whilst preventing abuse, was that you should be allowed to have multiple "Home" consoles on the condition that they are connected to the same physical LAN - a "Home home" if you will. As long as the console is *in my home* then it should be allowed to act as a "Home" console.

I personally don't feel this "Gold" privileges are the biggest issue. IMO the real issue, in case anyone cares, is that "digital" games bought under my xbox live account (of which there are many, costing lots, in several cases costing more than a physical copy would have cost) can only be played on 1. The "Home" console, or 2. Any console I am actively signed in on.
        If I want to use the "Home" console myself, then nobody can access the game library on the other console because you can only sign in on one console at a time.
        If (and this was "when" right up until I discovered this was the case, don't judge me I have 3 kids and they fight) I buy a third console, only one of those will be able to access the game library at a time, and only if I'm not using my account elsewhere, making it totally pointless.
        Had I bought physical copies, I could freely take them individually to whichever console they were wanted at the time (but my kids would probably scratch them in a matter of days), so why shouldn't I be able to do the same with digital copies that cost me the same / more?!

+1 to all of the above. We have 3 kids and currently have our original xbox one day one edition plus a new xbox one x in our house and are already finding it incredibly irritating that they can't play any of the 250 odd games owned on my live account on the one that isn't "home" any time that I am signed in on the one that *is* "home". We were looking to buy a third xbox one s, or even another xbox one x, but there's absolutely no way I'm spending that kind of money as it looks like it would be totally useless most of the time. I'd even be happy(ish) to pay for a gold account per xbox, but the game library is linked to my account as the parent, I'm not going to start buying games on my 4-year-old's account, not least that it would be confusing as all **** working out who needs to be signed in where for what game, and I, frankly, shouldn't have to! I've paid as much, and in several notable cases paid *more*, to buy digital copies of games instead of discs, partly because discs can get scratched, so why shouldn't I have the same flexibility to freely move the licence between consoles on a per game basis as I would simply taking the disc to a different console?! This is really unacceptable.

As mentioned in previous comments, it would be great to purchase digital content as apart of a family membership that can them be shared across multiple consoles on the same network (in the same house).

Just purchased my family’s hirs Xbox and come to find out I can’t play any of the game with my husband and kid because they are all tied to one console or my husbands personal account.

Dear Microsoft,

I’m writing and posting this in hopes it will get seen and possibly (hopefully) added soon. I’ve seen a great deal of posts about using multiple xbox consoles with only having 1 xbox live account but this doesn’t seem to be a real thing at the present time. I would request that you add this option.

My situation, my family and I… currently 7 of us which could change and does change as my wife and I are foster parents. We are currently building a new larger home for myself, my wife, my mother in law and our 4 adopted children, plus any foster children we get which could be anywhere from 1-3.

We currently have an Xbox One S as our as our main console. I’ve had it for about 2 years now I believe. I’ve grown to really love the device as an entertainment system. (ie. Bluray Player, Streaming Services etc) I like the menus in general some more than others, the Hulu menu setup with profiles is by far the biggest advance beyond any other device I’ve tried. With myself, my wife, MiL and kids the profile system is a god send as it is on Netflix. I’ve tried smart TV’s, bluray players etc and don’t seem to get the profile option in Hulu with anything but the Xbox One. The other Apps and features that are available with it as well are just great.

I’ve been mulling this over in the last year or so and now that our house is in process of being built I’m giving it more and more thought. What I would like to do is have at least 3 Xbox Ones but possibly more to run the bulk of the entertainment in the home. In the kids play area I would have 1 or possibly 2 for gaming with each other as well as movies via disc of streaming services. Have 1 in my living room for the main Theater/Entertainment area. I have a large TV and nice sound system for this for movies etc and there would also be some gaming done on this one. Beyond those I would also like to have 1 in the MiL room for her streaming entertainment and then 1 in my room as well.

I would like to be able to use all of them at the same time without running into account issue and xbox live issues. I would like to be able to do this with 1 xbox live account. I’m ok with all my digital games being stuck to 1 or 2 machines or whatever, however that all works but if they could be shared between all the consoles would be nice. I understand some games would need multiple copies to be played together and that is fine. But for example I would like to be able to have child A and B play on the 2 consoles in the kids play area together, while child C or my wife is playing in the main living room on that console and/or watching streaming services on it as is MiL in her room.

I would like there to be some kind of “Family Account” that would allow for using Multiple Xbox Consoles on 1 Xbox live account instead of having 2 or 3 or more xbox live accounts. I know this is something that has been asked about in the past and just would really like this to be worked out soon. If it is you’ll have me going out to purchase another 2-3 Xbox One X consoles plus added games for them. I’m even ok with paying a little more for multiple access. For example normal Xbox Live subscriptions are $59.99 for 12 months, $24.99 for three months, and $9.99 for one month. So a family plan could be something like $69.99 for 12 months, $34.99 for 3 months and $19.99 for 1 month. Honestly I’d love to stay within the same price point but $10 extra seems fair. And this would give you access to using 2 or more xbox consoles in 1 home.

Thanks for your time

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Identify other xbox live accounts that are members of your immediate family to enable digital content sharing beyond one other home xbox.

In my household we have three xbox ones and three paid xbox live accounts (one for each member of my family - one of which is a child account). Its upsetting that I cannot share all of my purchases with my family members since I can only have one other system as my home xbox. With the amount of money my family has invested in microsoft it is a shame that I would have to buy digital purchases more than once
        or resort to buying physical copies again in order to avoid being in circumstances where everyone wants to play something but someone has to sit out.

First world problems i know, however, i believe there has to be a way for microsoft to allow family members residing under the same roof to be able to share content without consequences such as a limited amount of home xbox switches.

If my gold privileges roamed to my kids account then I could make my wives xbox my home xbox and there would not be an issue.

• J Collell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dovetailing off my previous comment. Each Xbox is serialized. So there really is no excuse for not being able to do this. If Microsoft is scared of hacks and digital piracy, using the console serial id would be another level of security to ensure that unauthorized access does not occur. I mean, when I log into my Microsoft account I see both my Xbox consoles listed with their respective serial numbers. C'mon Microsoft! Push this out on your next update!

• J Collell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the biggest irritants with Microsoft and Xbox is having more than one console and not having full shared access to games and services (Gold, Game Pass) outside of the designated Home console.

Family members should be able to access services and purchases for multiple consoles. Currently, this is not possible without going down this meandering rabbit hole which will make you nauseous and very mad.

Why can't there be a master account (i.e. Parent) and linked accounts (i.e. Child) where you grant them access to XBOX games and services which is console and device agnostic? This seems like a no brainer given that more households have more than one console and Microsoft is pushing digital purchases versus physical disc. You kind of have that now with the whole add family account feature. Would not be a stretch to add access rights linking them to one Master Account (The one with the credit card).

• Jez Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have 4 xboxes in the house, with 99% of games on my account and the main living room xbox is designated as 'Home'

Can we implement some form of family sharing whereby child accounts in the family can access my digital library games on other xboxes in the house?

This could either be done at an account level or via IP

In my case and several others there are 3 consoles in the household, for me it is mine and my 2 sons. We are currently unable to play games online on all three because of the file sharing restriction. I do not want this to get exploited but even less do I want to purchase a game twice even though we all have gold memberships we still need 2 colts of games to play.

• Jason Benson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow the home xbox to connect to multiple xbox's by identifying local area network. This would allow sharing of games that I have download across the 3 to 4 xbox's that I have in the home.
        I am an avid gamer and have cut the cord to cable, everything is done through the xbox now. Which causes a problem when I'm playing and my fiancé and 3 kids are trying to play the games that are associated with my account. I would like to expand the family account across this local network to allow the rest of the family access to the games without spending a fortune on the same games.

• William Mueller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My kids and I can share games but why are we limited to just owning one console? Aren't these supposed to be "media systems"? I'd like to have one in the living rooms downstairs and possibly others in the game room, master bedroom, or even the kid's bedrooms. Why can't game sharing be controlled by the fact that these Xboxes would all be on the same home network and not the same console in the same room?

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow home console and/or family accounts access/rights to movies and other non-game related content..

Currently movies are locked to purchasing account. Being in a multi-console household and with a child in my household, I should be able to purchase ANY CONTENT, not just GAMES & associated game content, and allow my HOME CONSOLE to play that content.

All my games are linked to my gold account, I then install appropriate games to my home console for my son.

I was shocked to learn that in today's world of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and all the others that ONLY MY PURCHASING ACCOUNT can play movies.

A few years ago there was a family Gold account. A planned revival should be considered.

Another option that would be good is when you add "child" accounts, it gives them Gold access as well (as long as you have one,).

With homes having so many consoles now, not just the "Home" one, I think Microsoft should consider it an option again.

• Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most family’s have multiple Xbox ones I know I have 4 in my home as my kids and step kids enjoy playing multiplayer games with their friends from school but it costs thousands each year on games they all want, so we would like to see the proper family sharing that was first introduced when Xbox one was first released,

Parent can buy Xbox live and games from the store then go on to Xbox.com and add each Xbox serial number with a name to the parent account to be able to game share with children it would make family life 100x easier and it would be better than make this Xbox home which is ok for 1 Xbox that everyone uses

• Becky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree. It takes a push to help families grow with xbox having fun without having to assume costs in duplicate or more. I have 2 xbox and 2 children but every time it is more complicated to continue investing in duplicate, it is very expensive, please, help families, everything is at home :)

• Danny H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have 3 xboxes in the house and I can only set my home xbox on one. That is really annoying especially when my kids are trying to play online but they can't because my account can only be logged into one console at a time. It would be ideal if either the home xbox setting was expanded upon to allow it to be on more than one xbox or enable all the accounts that are a part of my Xbox live account to actually use the Xbox live features without the main account being logged in.

• Serpentbane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have four children, and with one XBONEX this works well. However, I'm considering two more XBONEX consoles in the kids living room as we have two TVs with 360s there today.

And, this is where XBOX live falls short for families. If the XBONEs can detect each other on the same network, then we should get full access with one Gold subscription.

If MS is concerned about exploits I could live with this being limited to users registered as family members on family.microsoft.com, and even further limited to two adults and the rest kids accounts.

If it's not possible to do this with games sharing, at least do it with Gold subscription and simultaneous multiplayer on all consoles.

This idea is awesome! I have two accounts that each purchased games and two xboxes and I don't want to deal with the problems I am having!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

About This Site

Xbox Ideas is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.

• What happened to Xbox Feedback? Start here.
      • Got a question about Xbox Ideas? Go here.
      • Check out the UserVoice Privacy Policy.
      • Need help with your Xbox experience? Find support information at http://support.xbox.com/