Find and vote for your favorite ideas for Gaming on Windows 10

Let Users Disable Unnecessary Processes While Playing Games

When I'm playing a game, I should be able to disable any background process that isn't required so I can get the best performance possible.

2,324 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminGuru Kronos (Admin, Xbox) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows should offer the possibility to optimize the system resources on the respective game (single core or multi core OC) and say where a bottleneck might be.
        CPU / RAM / GPU

The OS should switch off ALL for a Gamemode, which is NOT NECESSARY and prefer everything else. The more potent the hardware the more can run in the background, the weaker the system, the less allowed to run in the background.

There should be the possibility to play on the main screen with for example 144Hz and on the second screen a movie with 60Hz to look without problems

• Tim Kirsch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To anhance multitasking while playing games you should be able to limit resourcess like network usage, data rate on HDDs or processor runtime for specific processes. So you could run downloads or move huge data in the background while playing games without any issues.

• Ash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly this includes the windows GUI also.
        If the system is using resources to render layers over a game (i'm talking about flashy animations for things like game bars, notifications or effects ect. to make the OS seem modern and stylish) - anything like that should be short and snappy as not to interrupt your experience.
        If there were an option to cut the styling 'fluff' so to speak, that would be great.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In windows there is an option for having multiple desktops what you can switch from, I don't use this but somehow have the issue of opening one of these at random when playing games, I haven't been able to figure out how to prevent this from happening yet, I was wondering if it could be removed or made less accessible at random? and if anyone else was having the same problem as me?

• Hideki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this would mean a checkbox next to each process in some panel, then I'm all for it. The user should be the one choosing which processes are not required as at least there should be an option to do so.

• Konstantin Geissler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Intelligent background transfer service is the most annoying while playing online games.
        Just out of nowhere my ping skyrockets to >1600ms and when I close the task manually it just comes back in a matter of minutes which ruined competitive play.

I have not yet found a working solution to this, even though I habe disabled quite some features according to some forums.

• Mitchell Laurie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please expand this to Windows processes. I don't need Superfetch. I don't want your advertising telemetry. Let me stop these processes sucking up compute time.

• Chandu R Nath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MsMpEng.exe is taking too much memory and it sometime cause stuttering . Users should be able to reduce or disable it without going to all the regedit and task scheduler to stop it

• Yamaa Naser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would honestly love a settings menu for hardware and tools to optimize your gaming experience. (That's quick to access and simple). Basically, a new PC gamer would love to overclock GPUs, fans and more. But they really don't have the time getting 3rd party overclockers. So built in windows settings to optimize your gaming experience and change the intensity of the hardware. A simple shortcut would do greatly.

• Nikita Evdokimov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For example, sending feedback collected data or checking for updates and restricting background activity of Windows Store apps (like receiving notification updates).
        Basically restricting any activity which might cause high ping or butter or package loss in the game.

• Solaries commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are a lot of voodoo-snake-oil-superstitious-quick-fixes to improve performance out there and for decades gamers have been left to sift through the chaff themselves -- Microsoft could do better. There are a number of optimizations to Windows and the multitude of devices that gamers reply on for their PCs to function properly, and far more things out there don't do anything are even potentially harmful. A menu that shows gamers the options that are available, explains what they are and what the potential trade offs may be, would help users shape their experience and protect them from potentially damaging alterations. All this while, this would reinforce Microsoft's position as the experts of their operating system and recognize and support the needs of their customers.

• Meitantei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Disabling basic Windows services/background processes will not give you any realistic performance gains. Maybe if you are running something third-party in the background that you installed, but otherwise no. You know how much you would gain, if lucky? 1 FPS difference at best! Even if you use those programs already out there that do this, it's basically a placebo effect.

• Kane Bunce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just add all gaming related features and changes to Home and Pro. There is no need for an additional SKU for people to choose from.

• Dolnor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I unfortunately have to turn off many Windows systems in order to play games on my older system. Also, Windows 10 informs their users that Updates for the OS will not occur while they are using the system...yet it happens all the time on my systems. Thus, I have to leave Task Manager running in order to defeat Windows Update until after my gaming sessions are over.

TQQdles™

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've recently invested in a new computer, and performance hasn't been something I've been worried about with the games I play. The performance of my computer in gaming is always crucial, because the experience of enjoying a game should not include doubt regarding the performance of the computer making it possible. I know that my trashbox of a computer before could run fallout 4, gta5(V), other games that listed minimum requirements above what I had. But I had more straightforward ways of dealing with resources on my computer. Windows ten has a complicated, intimidating interface regarding the task manager. It makes me want my old computer back. Find ways to help me confidently use my computer with intelligence. I don't need emails while I'm halfway though a round of racing a car on fire with people in China and Argentina. I'd like to know my computer isn't freaking out about stuff I might care about someday, when I can let it know for now it shouldn't bother, I'm opening the vodka. Thank you for reading this, take care.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

About This Site

Xbox Ideas is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.

• What happened to Xbox Feedback? Start here.
      • Got a question about Xbox Ideas? Go here.
      • Check out the UserVoice Privacy Policy.
      • Need help with your Xbox experience? Find support information at http://support.xbox.com/