Find and vote for your favorite ideas for Gaming on Windows 10

When Running a Game, Windows Should Automatically Disable Processes While Playing

When I start a game, Windows should identify any processes that aren't necessary to run the game (such as indexing) and disable it while I'm playing.

4,978 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminGuru Kronos (Admin, Xbox) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

218 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • yreuyert utrutr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

there are too much settings to change when installing windows to make it "best for gaming". sometimes it can come at a point of the need to modify registry and DO MAKE a difference.

high power mode, etc.. look simple but just see how many steps trusted windows optimization guides for gaming have.. it's just a shame.

many settings are a good idea but "the best" should be a simple button and not severals settings changes.

• yreuyert utrutr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An other idea to "kill all the process" while gaming. Effectively kill ALL unnecessary process (even system one's that won't be used while gaming), and somehow stock them somewhere NOT in the ram to be able to come back to normal use when closing the game.

• FAR51D3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As the title says, it would be really cool if you could emulate a closed system container for games, which would use some overhead, but would stop third party programs from injecting themselves into the games. A good platform in place would be like the Xbox OS or PlayStation OS.

• Phoenix Liberty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When the dedicated Microsoft Gaming App is launched, close everything else, stop every other process and stop every other service that was not opened by the User (or process/service of an Application opened by the User), resume them when the dedicated Microsoft Gaming App is closed.

• Phoenix Liberty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Such as Transparency, Fluid Motion and other Windows Graphics Effects (to use less Graphics Resources), when a Game is launched and Auto-re-enable them when the Game has closed.

• D.M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this idea with the Caveat, that if we (the individual user) does not agree with what Microsoft believes is a service I don't need and is okay to shut down, that I can over-ride that setting on a service by service permanent basis. If I disagree with the operating system I do not want to be nagged.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

but leave the security features on, i dont want my pc to be vulnerable during gaming sessions.

• Anıl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

windows have unnessecary updates and because of it ram is using more then necesssary

• Des commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Create User Friendly Interface to Allow Users Disable Additional Services When Game Application Detected.
        User will have new special interface to disable additional apps based on application list and close them during game time, when the user want to restart the application back, they can select manually to start all or any that they want to activate.

The application closing process should be done as the game launched and it should be executed once to prevent loop. With this User has their own choices to maximize their game experience by closing all other apps or they can play as per normal.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anti-cheat tools in multiplayer games often only detect public cheats. Private / paid cheats are not recognized or only with delay. I think an anti-cheat function at the operating system level could help a lot.

Couldn't a function / API be integrated, e.g. a sandbox, which developers can use for future games to protect them from accesses and hooks and other cheat methods?

• Joshua Shear commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When playing a game (or any intensive program really), it would be great in task manager, to be able to specify specific processor cores for the processes of the game (or program). These cores would only run the specified process(es) and minimize thread switching (within the process).

Allowing these to be created as profiles that can be automatically applied would be even better.

The difference between this and process affinity (already in task manager) is this would prevent ALL other processes from using those cores, and as a result, cause less thread switching.

This could allow a many core system (4+) to have all of the background processes run on core 0, while a game (or other software) runs on cores 1-n. In cases where people are multi tasking (i.e. running a simulation, and playing a game while waiting for the simulation to run), one program could run on cores 1-3 and another could run on cores 4-12, leaving core 0 for all other background processes.

• Немања Саватић commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my opinion Windows 10 needs to have option when you launch a game it recognizes it and disables some processes in the background. This should come with several settings like if you want Windows to just close some processes, or go "true gamer" like with disabling taskbar, removing background, and whole bunch of other stuff you don't actually need when just want to play a game. This will help you to free up RAM space, unload the processor and maybe some internet speed. The thing is, this option should be fully customizable by end user.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many people want to stop "annoying" processes, I would love to see a flag saying "hey, this game/process is important and should have priority". So instead of manually stopping many annoying things, I want to be able to only once tell windows: this is important, give it a higher priority when I use it and figure out what to do with the rest on your own. This could even be easily automatized by adding a whitelist to windows: if a program is on this list and has the cursor focus (so it's the thing I'm interacting with right now), it gets higher priority. ****, just giving the front-most process an increased priority would be a great heuristic.
        Not sure how difficult it would be, to propagate the priority down to all system resources: Network latency for game lag, disk speed for texture loading, guaranteed CPU time each 100th second or so.
        I'm pretty sure, that's not how it works at the moment, as I get massive lag in online multiplayer games, when steam feels like downloading an update in the background.

• Christian Moesgaard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Games often want to have very fast networking responses. It is critical to gamers that network packets related to games are always sent and received first and foremost, as quickly as possible.

When using low bandwidth connections or slightly spotty internet, nothing is quite as annoying as background processes or other applications hogging network resources we do not have to spare.

This includes telemetry, of course, which is the most egregious and ridiculous example, but it also includes downloading Windows updates or fetching e-mail or any number of other activities.

Instead of entirely shutting down or stopping these services, which may be a good idea in some cases, prioritise packets sent by and received by games, such that only bandwidth not needed by the game is used for all the other stuff.

• Simon Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sometimes a program the users has left on in the background will start running mid-game but stop running by the time the user checks task manager. This makes it hard to tell why games seem to lag randomly.

Windows should detect when another program is contesting the resources of a game and notify the user (when they close the game). So that they can disable it for next time they play.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base

About This Site

Xbox Ideas is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.

• What happened to Xbox Feedback? Start here.
      • Got a question about Xbox Ideas? Go here.
      • Check out the UserVoice Privacy Policy.
      • Need help with your Xbox experience? Find support information at http://support.xbox.com/