Find and vote for your favorite ideas for Gaming on Windows 10

Windows Should Automatically Download Driver Updates When Game is Installed

When I download a game, Windows should find any available driver updates for that game, like graphics drivers, and download them automatically as well.

1,291 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminGuru Kronos (Admin, Xbox) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

74 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Moros commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So far automatic driver updates have caused me more trouble than they were worth. I have disabled them and really don't want them back. Seeing how careful we have to handle driver updates at work because of the trouble they can cause in a computing environment if you fail to recognise a potential problem during testing, I urge caution when it comes to automated updates. An advanced user might be better off handling driver updates themselves with the neccessary precautions.

• Bohumil Vrbík commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would personally prefer the ability to run different programs with different sets of drivers. Some (especially older) games run better on older drivers, so the ability to quickly switch without restarting to another OS install would be amazing. Essentially I'm asking for compatibility mode on overdrive, maybe based on virtualization.

• YOEL_44 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please no, and this is why:
        Another way of taking away controll from users to let the system be more smart than you.
        Another process checking game installations and driver updates.
        Another nonsense automazitation system that will go away in most fine-tuned systems.
        Another way of wasting internet bandwidth.

• Aiden is a Penguin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

no way would i recommend this as windows 10 update dose this for amd and gives you older drivers then what are installed on the system already

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh god no!
        Everyone is complaining about automated Windows updates and here you are asking for automated updates?! WHAT?!

• Joe Krump commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows already installs updates it can find for most hardware.

Unless you mean install software updates, that's an idea.

But drivers updates and the like are not game/software dependant and this idea as written makes no sense and would benefit no one.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That should not happen. The drivers windows is installing e.g Nvidia Graphic Driver are often outdated or even faulty!

• James Oliver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

other than the fact that the latest drivers are not always stable. if this makes it in it need to be able to be turned off as some systems have problems with latest drivers (Nvidia PLX chip problems with drivers that wasn't fixed for over a year for example)

By using the latest Drivers for your graphics card, you should have all available optimizations for your GPU for any games presently available with optimizations for your GPU already present.

This idea is irrelevant.

Oh heck no! That's a terrible idea! Latest drivers aren't always the best. Update them manually, it's not hard at all.

• Tristyn Russelo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New video drivers (any new driver) should be updated when the new driver is released, this should occur long before installing a game, unless both are released same day.

• hutty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Might be neat with a confirmation box, updating graphics drivers automatically could break things, especially if the user had specifically switched to an older driver version to get another application working.

• Hunter Killer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's horrible, look how it takes care of it when you don't have a driver installed, I'd rather control that as they are incompetent.
        Maybe suggesting they notify you of a new driver update but not them allowing to download one for you as not all games or drivers work with the latest ones.

I'd hate this as a default ON feature. Too many experiences with buggy/broken drivers. I suppose if there were a big blaring "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO ENABLE THIS FEATURE" warning I could live with it, but I'd be really ****** if the first time I realized this was a thing was in trying to figure out and roll back a driver that I didn't know had been updated to something broken.

Windows updates mess up Windows functionality often enough. I don't want Windows automatically helping third party programs mess up my computer.

• Subash Chandra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's not how that works. Windows will automatically update VC++ and Direct X, but game drivers are GPU specific. You need to download the latest driver from NVidia/AMD

• Steven Wyant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel like it would be better if you just had a popup saying do you want to update drivers before playing or have it do so when the user is not there with a way to shut it off all together

Only when you can choose to disable that option, i hate it if my graphic driver would get autoupdated and maybe installs stuff i dont want to install at all.

• Marian benčat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Holy moly... please no!!!! We have enough of BSOD screens after common Windows 10 updates.... Will have to create

"Never ever automatically update any driver"

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base

About This Site

Xbox Ideas is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.

• What happened to Xbox Feedback? Start here.
      • Got a question about Xbox Ideas? Go here.
      • Check out the UserVoice Privacy Policy.
      • Need help with your Xbox experience? Find support information at http://support.xbox.com/