Find and vote for your favorite ideas for Gaming on Windows 10

Allow Mod Support for Windows Store Titles

Add a service comparable to "Steam Workshop" to the Windows Store for mod support and user created content.

371 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angelo Dodys shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is why I want MCC on pc so i can mod it, and also halo reach if that happends

• Jacob Kelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Modding has a long history with PC games, and is one of the primary reasons people game on PC. Finding ways to allow people to mod UWP apps whilst maintaining UWP's security I think is really important.

Have a system like the steam Workshop, where you can downloaded user created mods (don't need to work when playing online).

• Aycan Aykut Acarbay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Safe mod like environment for gaming to have better low level access to hardware would be game changing for the future of pc gaming and it would cement the place of windows 10 in gaming compared to rising compatibility of Linux distributions.

Create an API for developers to allow mod support of their games for UWP. Add a mod workshop to the store for downloading mods. Let the developers choose how much they want their games to be modified (custom maps, textures, etc.). Put the burdon of mod support on the developers rather than forbidding it outright.

Modding games is a huge part of PC gaming but the Windows Store in its current iteration does not allow it. This is one reason why PC players do not favour the app as it is too restrictive.

• Jake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe the games on Windows need to be actual programs where I can go to the C drive and find the program. By disallowing that your bottlenecking the modding community and without them you'll never be able to compete against steam or others. And you'll just fragment the market and you'll never have the player base that the others do.

• Tudor Tanasa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love playing Minecraft on UWP, it functions so much better than the outdated Java version but the lack of modding really cripples it's replayability. At the same time it would really be useful to have an overlay such as Steam while playing Forza, since that game always disconnects me when I switch tasks.

• Krogoth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I grew up gaming on Windows. It's a huge shame and disappointment that I can't modify UWP game folders the same way I can Win32's.

UWP makes it harder to install mods, custom shaders and post process injectors, overlays and community fixes.

Win32 is still the most PC Gaming friendly format to play games with. It is non-hostile in nature to the PC Gamer and allows all the benefits as posted above. UWP makes these benefits a lot harder or nearly impossible to achieve without deep system modification.

I hope one day UWP games could as freely be modified as Win32 games.

Windows Gaming just wouldn't be the same without this.

• JRed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely huge. Games like age of empires 2 and skyrim are alive today because of the modding scene. It allows users to not only customize and tinker with the game's aesthetics, but also to vastly improve it. This is an absolute must, and if this happens it will put windows 10 store miles ahead of 99% of the competition

• Andrej Gasic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A lot of games are more fun when the players have the ability to add new things to them. Minecraft supports this to some extent with texture packs, but every game should allow modifications.

UWP currently restricts basically any form of modding. We're not asking for full mod tools every time, but opening up the file system of UWP to allow some basic form of modding would be much appreciated. That or ditch UWP entirely in favor of something more open.

• Lukas Taves commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow other store applications to act as mod loaders, they can inject on games and replace dlls and files on the fly.

Any Xbox live interaction would block the injection automatically, but it would be allowed for single player, and non gaming apps would be blocked by default for security reasons.

Give what gamers want and they will support, if you deliver a nice platform for legitimate modding, it will prevent people trying to hack the system to cheat, it's a win win

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Create mod support for all first-party MS games released on PC. Look how much money ARMA 3 made just off of people buying it for mods. The entire genre of Battle Royale came from an ARMA mod. If Halo had mod support, I imagine a battle-royale mod for Halo would sell copies of the game without MS having to do marketing.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

About This Site

Xbox Ideas is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.

• What happened to Xbox Feedback? Start here.
      • Got a question about Xbox Ideas? Go here.
      • Check out the UserVoice Privacy Policy.
      • Need help with your Xbox experience? Find support information at http://support.xbox.com/