Find and vote for your favorite ideas for Gaming on Windows 10

Allow Users to navigate Windows 10 via Controller

For example, pressing the middle Xbox button should open the start menu (Or I should be able to enable a "game mode" when using a controller that opens start screen similar to tablet mode").

I should also be able to use the xbox keyboard when entering text, as well as seeing my controller battery percentage in the taskbar when connected.

452 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angelo Dodys shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

55 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

enable OS control via xbox wireless controller - for example when you use your TV as a monitor, it would be convenient to use one of the thumb sticks as a mouse cursor - just to be able to launch the game without using a wireless keyboard

• Pier Paolo Pirrello- Da Ponte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fix the half-assed implementation that exists. Fully commit to it or don't. I use Controller Companion and currently, due to the increasing amount of UI elements that are integrating controller support, it's become a nightmare to use my PC from my couch. If you fully committed to controller input across the OS, I wouldn't have to use a separate program and I wouldn't mind.

• Snick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The half-hearted Xbox controller support implemented in the Windows 10 UI (for jumplists, the start menu, and such) only serves to interfere with any 3rd party software (ie. Controller Companion) I might be using to navigate my PC with a controller.

As it is now, navigating a Windows PC with an Xbox controller (in a living room setting, for example) is a frustrating experience. If Microsoft won't give us the option to disable this partial controller implementation, they should just go all the way and make it work across the board (for all elements of the Windows interface, and for general software, like browsers).

Windows 10 should support native navigation with the xbox one controller along with the ability to create and share separate controller button and function bindings for each app and game in windows 10. This may sound similar to what steam has done and you would be correct in your assumption that this feature is very similar...but the controller would operate at the operating system layer and not just the application layer. I would love to play all games that I have installed on my with an Xbox one controller while being able to experiment with the custom bindings on the fly.

• Wah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reminded me of a software that do the same thing on Windows 8, but this is certainly a welcome addition for gaming htpc user on windows 10 with fullscreen start menu.

• Christophe Lemay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would LOVE an Xbox-like interface that you can switch to and from, and set a specific display to use this interface(for example when your TV is detected it shows the game interface on it, but not your monitor) And of course you shouyld be able to control it with a controller.

• Doug Bailey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Xbox controller opens up the Windows 10 xbox app which allows you to navigate already. But i agree with allowing usage outside of just xbox app

• Tobias Juhre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please give us a Windows 10 Interface, which can be controlled via Controller. Like the Steam Big Screen Interface.

• Ziemo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to control the mouse cursor. Menu operation and start screen. An native app is welcome for assigning functions to pad buttons. Triggers can work like a mouse wheel. Default settings will be nice to welcome.

Just like there is a Tablet Mode toggle for tablets, Xbox mode would change the Windows interface to something controller friendly on a TV like the Xbox One interface.

• MATHEUS DUARTE FERREIRA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow to controll windows with a controller.
        Windows already have a tablet mode, it needs a controller mode, support your own controller MS, be smart and be nice

• Nerdatron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the ability to use the joystick for moving the mouse around and like an xbox, when turned on will turn the most recent connected PC. This would help massively with using a PC from a couch.

• CCrate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have a streamlined Xbox Interface, similar to that of Xbox One, and let people launch games, buy games, chat with friends, browse activity feeds, all done with a controller or mouse/keyboard.

Windows 10 should provide fullscreen GUI for launching games. Nice to have: Steam and Origin integration.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like tablet mode, "Gaming Mode" would make it easier to control Windows with an Xbox controller (or the like), Almost like the full screen start menu but better. Makes it easier to use a gaming PC plugged into the TV.

• Diogo Amorim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now we can't fully use Windows with only a controller. We should be able to use the controller to accept the "allow to run as administrator" notification for example. The current Xbox app on Windows 10 is underdeveloped and it would be greatly appreciated a feature like steam big picture but with a greater integration with the os.

• Balablabla1000 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will make it possible to integrate all the games in one place, without need to switch between steam, uplay, origin, ect. It also turns the PC into a really convenient media center.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base

About This Site

Xbox Ideas is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.

• What happened to Xbox Feedback? Start here.
      • Got a question about Xbox Ideas? Go here.
      • Check out the UserVoice Privacy Policy.
      • Need help with your Xbox experience? Find support information at http://support.xbox.com/