Find and vote for your favorite ideas for Gaming on Windows 10

Disable Notifications by Default When Gaming

I've seen far too many complaints on reddit on r/ windows, r/windows10 and other gaming subreddits that users will have the focus assist force them out of the game to notify them about the focus assist feature. Although there is an option to turn off the notification. It should be off by default with fullscreen games and programs.

339 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

40 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Benjamin Strung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For users like myself that want to disable notifications from every other facet of windows (i.e. emails, cortana, tips, etc) but would like to see relevant notifications for things like when a Friend Invites me to play Forza, it would be nice to have a bit of granular control for Games/Xbox notifications.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not just Windows that pulls you out of games for notifications, I have had Chrome do it as well. NOTHING should be able to pull you out of the game. PERIOD!

• wingwire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It can be very irritating when opening a game that takes a minute, or even several, to launch, because they force themselves into focus and stop you from being able to tab out because they're too busy loading data to respond. It's annoying to have to wait the entire loading time when you could be doing other things on your computer while you wait. I found this especially annoying with Photoshop, as a previous version had 5 or 6 "opening cues" that it sent to Windows to force itself on top while loading, essentially locking you out of your own computer for a period of time.

• Антон Тимофеев commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When playing a game, no pop-ups or notifications from other applications should ever change window focus, which means no messaging apps, software updates etc etc should be able to minimize my game and throw me onto the desktop, regardless of their code.

I have 2 monitors, and some applications like to send me notifications by flashing a taskbar icon, say when i get a message on steam for example. I know that you can set these individually per application, but I'd love to see an option to disable them completely while gaming. I'm pretty sure it's not for everybody, so an opt-in feature would be great.

My main issue with this, that even though I have a beefy PC, I get terrible lagspikes as long as I dont check it. I think it has to do something with the different refresh rates on my monitors (144 and 60Hz), I'm not really sure what it causes, but usually it feels like some weird frame-sync issue, because the framerate looks decent while the actual image is jittery.

Nothing should take away the focus from a game or any window or program, like alerts, permission requests, and even other programs.

Pop-ups and notifications whilst playing games get extremely annoying. Granted some people want alarms and such to remind them when to stop, in general pop-ups are just a nuicence. Disabling them entirely except in the case of alarms would help a lot. This includes stuff like email popups etc.

• Marcus Gruszka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Improve notifications if I play a game some disappear others don't get shown at all and some stay in the bottom right forever. This feature just seems flawed.

No new windows opening that say you've to update Windows, no new windows that ask you when to restart your computer, just the little icon with the orange dot that stays next to the clock.

• Musa Bedirhan Konyar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While playing, we might get notification or updates from other programs or the OS itself, affecting our experience in a negative way.

• Lina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The game did not hide when notifications appeared in full-screen mode and a random click.

• Joe Campbell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently some push notifications will completely minimize your game even when full screen. Obviously I could just turn them off and that would fix the issue but I like getting notifications when I am not in game. It would be very inconvient to turn them on and off each time and should be automated to be able to fully utilize the feature.

• Mason Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whenever I play a game on Windows 10, it should ignore all pop-up notifications for Windows updates, as a lot of the time, they get in the way.

• Ken Ang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even on gaming mode now, there are times when certain software will take me out of the game to prompt me to update and what not. Gforce experience is the main culprit.

not everybody's computer can run new games at a high resolution and it really bugs me that i have a persistent notification taking up the bottom right corner of the screen telling me that my computer monitor is 1080p and my game is running at 480p

When a game is running, other programs should never steal focus, which should always remain on the game; likewise, balloons, notifications and popups should not be allowed to show through when gaming.

• Valdemar Torakka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Already some notifications are suppressed and presented in a collection notification 'While you were gaming...' after closing the application. This, however, should be the case with all notifications. Not only do notifications disturb the experience, in some instances they interfere with controls. What is more, it should be user configurable whether notifications should be displayed or not. A good bonus would be if user could choose which applications' notifications can be displayed.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

About This Site

Xbox Ideas is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.

• What happened to Xbox Feedback? Start here.
      • Got a question about Xbox Ideas? Go here.
      • Check out the UserVoice Privacy Policy.
      • Need help with your Xbox experience? Find support information at http://support.xbox.com/