Find and vote for your favorite ideas for Gaming on Windows 10

Allow Users to Set a Default Monitor For Launching Games

Users with multiple monitors should be able to change on which monitor will their game start

317 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Andrew shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Pavel Trka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please ! This is my major pain when playing video games. It's solvable by Steam Big Picture but it's not a magic bullet solution. For games which are not in Steam catalog it's also solvable by importing in Steam or using https://sourceforge.net/projects/tvgamelauncher/ but all solutions have some drawbacks and generally it's simply painful. For example when game crashes, secondary and primary monitors could remain switched cause tvgamlauncher and I bet also Steam uses trick with settting second monitor as default before running the game. If then there is some problem with game and Steam or tvgamelauncher does not know that game ended, you end up with switched monitors. So there should be simply an option to set monitor which will game run on.

• Daniel Asaf Hazakov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let as set the default monitor for each game.
        So we could have the game run on the proper monitor.
        Example : have my controller games play on my Big screen. While my fast pace games play on my smaller 144hz screen.

• Łukasz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When starting game it should be possible to select display + controllers (e.g. xbox controller), so that it is still possible to use pc by another person on the primary screen. Currently game will run and desktop is available, but there is controller and focus conflict. It is possible with virtual machine, but setup is very complex.

• Felix Balda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make it possible (and easy) to start games on an optional Display (like a TV) that is connected to the PC, but not used when not gaming on it.

• Joshua Zito commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow those with multiple monitors to designate one as a gaming monitor so when you alt tab, windows button, etc ... it doesn't affect the game.

• Tõnis Lusmägi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Choose your preferred monitor the game will be launced on in a multi-monitor setup without changing your regular settings in Windows Display Settings.

This option can be implemented into Game Bar, for an example.

• Christian Carr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have more control on which monitor a game/app appears on. ie ability to move the game between monitors.

• Tomasz Kapłoński commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Primary display for full screen mode is something different than day to day work (i.e. external tv is primary just for games/movies) so this seetting should be somehow separated

• knarp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I generally disable extra monitors before running a game. It would be nice to have this done automatically. Maybe even have multiple configurations, as in play Forza exclusively on the television and other games with the primary desktop monitor.

• Skip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On a multiple monitor setup it is sometimes necessary to run your game on your secondary display instead of your primary one. Some games support in-game switching between monitors but these are very few in number. It would be very useful if Windows supported this feature by default just like the "Windows key + arrow keys" shortcut for non-fullscreen applications.

• Richard Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know if it's really possible, but I would like better support for multiple monitors and full screening. I mean having something full screened on one monitor, not across then all. But it would be great being able to uncapture the mouse and click across on another window, without having the main full screen app vanish.

• Jakub commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Other byway to switch an application. Without changing resolution. If you have 2 monitors you can choose on what monitor apk will turn on.

• David Fusan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Superbutton + shift + arrow is nice, but borderless isn't enough.
        It would be nice to have option to choose default display for fullscreen games.

• superbugged commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally the ability to choose which display the action center along with notifications should appear on.

Currently most full screen games run only on the primary display along with the action center and notifications. This makes it impractical to use both simultaneously which often causes notifications to pop up over the full screen game. Currently the only solution to this is disabling notifications which very often isn't acceptable.

The perfect solution to this would be having a full screen game on one display while the action center and the notifications appear on another display.

• Samuele commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let the user choose the default display to use for fullscreen or borderless windowed games (or a different multi-display setup) when multiple displays are in use, and decide whether to turn off the secondary displays or not.

When closing the game, any previously opened window should go back to its original display and retain original size.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

About This Site

Xbox Ideas is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.

• What happened to Xbox Feedback? Start here.
      • Got a question about Xbox Ideas? Go here.
      • Check out the UserVoice Privacy Policy.
      • Need help with your Xbox experience? Find support information at http://support.xbox.com/