Find and vote for your favorite ideas for Gaming on Windows 10

Create an Improved Game Management Interface for Windows

I really love the game management on Xbox. Being able to simply select a game and move/copy it to another device is easy to do. Not sure if it's possible on a PC, but it sure would be nice to have a drive (or folder) dedicated to game installs that can be moved to another PC (or connected to the same re-installed PC) and just work without having to re-download a game from the store. Even if the bulk of the install is stored in a folder and just a few key pieces were re-installed, that would be fine too.

304 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

xFiver shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

56 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dreamer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Split the game to portable part, system part, and save part, so after the game or Windows reinstall just the system part would be reinstalled, installer would check the portable and save part, if these exist, they would be used. Save part should include the game settings (graphic/audio/controls options).

It means - no need to backup, re-download, re-install, re-copy the files that are already on disk - or/and easy game (portable/save part) transfer to another device/pc.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently when you download a game from the Microsoft Store on Windows 10 it doesn't have the capability of asking where you would like to install the game - like Steam does. This causes issues if you use a relatively small SSD as your system drive with windows booting from it and use that for a few select games but mostly use a large hard drive to store the majority of your games. This means to install a new game currently from the store the perception is that you would have to sort out space on the small SSD to install the game before switching things around in the storage settings in the Windows 10 Settings app. This is a rather long winded alternative that definitely puts me off even considering buying games from the store, even with Xbox play anywhere support.

• Cameron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like installing my games on both my desktop and laptop and this would help a lot. It's a pain downloading a 50GB game on desktop and then installing the exact same files to my laptop.

• AnthonySPT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With games around and beyond 100GB in size, when a simple game update corrupts the installation, a recovery option needs to be available. Either automatically or through a backup/restore process of the game to a secondary drive/location.

As a side note, there should be NO WAY a game update should corrupt an installation - which even occurs on the XBox with larger game titles.

• Aimie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ISPs have data caps. Games are big. Let us back up and restore them similar to Uplay, Origin, or Steam. This lack of functionality combined with UWPs restrictive folder and file access makes backing up / restoring games incredibly difficult. Don't make us re-download hundreds of gigabytes of data.

• Robert Herman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow Windows 10 users to Verify Integrity of Game Cache like on Steam so that if there are any missing or corrupt game files a complete redownload and reinstallation of the game is not necessary to resolve. This way PC gamers will be able to fix their game issues faster and it will save bandwidth which is a concern for those with data caps on cable internet.

• James Pitchford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Over the years I have collected dozens of folders in various places because games like putting their save files and configuration files in various places on the computer. What I would like to see is some means for the user to set a preferred location for all of these files. For those games that do not respect this setting, any easier process or utility for setting up symbolic links could be added, and it would be really awesome if these links could be made invisible, even when hidden folders are supposed to be visible. That way the links can still direct the files to the desired location without cluttering other folders.

• Roger Spiess commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow Windows Store Games to be installed in a folder of your choice. Not just drive of your choice. Also extend that feature to older games that don't support it currently.

• Edward Pfister commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Require / recommend all game saved data to be in an easily accessible, known location that is configurable by the user. I shouldn't have to search though AppData, Documents or go online to search where these are.

On the Steam platform there is an option to verify a games files, If a file is found to be corrupt it is simply re-downloaded, This can be anything from a few kb's to a few GB's, As opposed to the Windows store where if a game file is corrupt due to having to pause the downloading of a game due to data caps, Slow network speed etc... you have to delete the game and re-download the whole thing all over again, With games like Gears of War 4 that are around 100GB this is a very bad design flaw.

• Crawlerin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. Especially when even the features that Windows has for Store games in Control Panel (like move them to another drive), I was told by support that those should not be used for such large installations. If Windows Store installer cannot even handle its own files, how do they expect this platform to proliferate? Separate games to different platform than Store if needed, if it is suitable for nothing more that Candy Crush that's a lost cause. Data caps and slow internet speeds exist too.

It's been a pain in the butt for tech enthusiasts who own more than one PC or upgrade and reinstall often. Those games cannot be used for benchmarking either.

All Game Saves in one location. Easy to backup and restore.
        Move to another computer or easy fix after reinstalling

• Liam Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the game files are already on a hard drive, locate so you dont have to redownload the whole thing. Also allow repair install, read alot about people having to reinstall 100gb+ games

• Tawã Caixêta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Download Gears of War 4 100GBs every time I change PCs its not optimal, we need a backup feature in the windows store.

• Stuxnet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to change where UWP apps are stored between multiple partitions on one system and then the ability to change the save location at any time, this will give the user the ability to store their game library on a large/cheap mechanical hard drive or Sata III SSD and before play transfer the install in its entirety to a small volume/faster NVME SSD.

This needs to get really popular, really fast. The current library system for windows store apps is god-awful, and not being able to manually manage installation directories, ESPECIALLY for games that are 125GB+ is a big oversight on Microsoft's end.

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this should most definitely be a thing. With the ever increasing number of launchers from various companies it's becoming more relevant than ever to have a place to be a one stop shop for all installed games.

Discord manages this already, although their interface is honestly god awful and lacking any features.

• Kyle Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow games to be backed up from the windows store, as well as transferred or copied to another computer

PLEASE add a backup and restore feature for the Windows store. Many users can't redownload Forza Horizon 4 (60GB) over and over again if I purchase it on multiple computers or if they upgraded their systems. This leads me to not be able to play the game anymore, because of my internet connection.

• Fernando Nascimento commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Similar to how Xbox one allows users to do. Backup the downloaded game so that I may move it to another drive, reinstall in a future time, transfer to a new computer, etc.
        Steam, Origin, Uplay, GOG, all of them, at some level, allows the user to do so.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base

About This Site

Xbox Ideas is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.

• What happened to Xbox Feedback? Start here.
      • Got a question about Xbox Ideas? Go here.
      • Check out the UserVoice Privacy Policy.
      • Need help with your Xbox experience? Find support information at http://support.xbox.com/