Find and vote for your favorite ideas for Gaming on Windows 10

Windows Should Support Classic PC Games Without The Need for Third Party Software

Extra effort should be made to ensure that gaming on windows is not just a good experience for new products, but a great experience for older games as well. Windows has a long history of great games, and it would be a shame to purposefully throw that away or deny it to the next generation.

439 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

The Chief shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

50 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Zachary Davenport commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to be able to earn achievements in GFWL-Enabled PC games without having to troubleshoot the GFWL software on a Windows 10 PC. I would propose migrating GFWL-Enabled games to the Microsoft Store.

For reference, here are some of the GFWL-Enabled PC Games:
        Fallout 3
        Batman: Arkham Asylum
        Batman: Arkham City
        Fable III
        Gears of War
        Grand Theft Auto IV
        Red Faction: Guerrilla

For a full list go here:
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_for_Windows_%E2%80%93_Live_titles

• Andreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are many old games which don't run on Windows 10.
        Often this is caused by problems with missing drivers, or with a strange or now unsupported "copy protection" implementation. (SafeDisc DRM)

This could often be solved by automatically running these game in an Virtual Machine / Container with the original Windows Version (Windows 7, 8.1, Vista, XP, 98, ..., 3.11).

Maybe an online database could auto detect a running configuration for a game on a Virtual Machine.

This could maybe also apply to Software in some cases.

• Ryan Chodora commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Old purchases on the Games for Windows Live Marketplace are currently inaccessible. You can only play these games and earn achievements only if you still own the disc. It would be great to have a legacy section in the Microsoft Store to download past purchases.

• Alexey Shcherbinin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DirectDraw emulation is basically broken in Windows 10. Because of that, most DX8 games have serious compatibility issues and run very poorly. Windows 7's DirectDraw emulation was much better.

• Nikita Borodkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Native DOS support for old games and applications as in Windows 95.
        You can take the compatibility components from windows 95.
        You can take the old games from windows 7 such as spider, freecell, minesweeper, hearts, solitaire chess, mahjong and oter as desktop apps.
        Make native support for .dll-libraries (on/off).

• Javier Ortiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Back in the Win7 days we had the amazing Windows XP Mode, basically a virtual machine running WinXP, It makes no sense that Microsoft took that away, I long to play my older games without issues, current hardware should handle it like a breeze.

• John Quigley III commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some older games will not run on x64 OSes, it would be amazing if games that require 16 bit operations should be supported.

• Ash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sometimes tools for this are missing such as MSDOS emulation, or even programs needed to run some older style games do not work currently (Such as Microsoft AppLocale, needed to run certain games from other language regions)

• Jacob Kelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will highlight the atrocious support for DirectInput on modern Xbox controllers, with triggers not being supported, yet alone being able to be identified as analog triggers.

This when playing older games, pushes people to using things like PS4 pads, which thru community drivers, supports Dinput rather well.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The behavior and API of Windows is always changing, which is a good thing. It allows for improvement and new technologies. But often older games struggle to run correctly under newer versions of Windows. Currently the only accesable options to fix problems, is the Compatibility tab of the propertys of the executable or shortcut. Often these limited settings do not fix the problem. Also there are no grafik specific options, where many of the problems exist.

• priit mölder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Official virtual environment for older titles that are not supported or have been disabled on the Windows platform due to security issues. Owning a copy of an old title (on CD or installer) should be still supported as playable if not updated (they once were, why not now and forever). Considering the compute power these days, running an older titel in VM should not be too much. You can put Win10 safely in background mode, disabling processes etc.

Windows on PC has absolutely amaizing library of old (win95,98,Xp, 7) games only small portion of which is availible though steam, gog etc. So improving copatibility would allow users greater choise and diversity.

• Clement Serin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some old DRMs (especially Starforce and GFWL) make certain games impossible to launch on Windows 10. Even worse, some versions of those DRM create instability.

As most of those games aren't available digitally, there is no way to play those games on modern systems and virtual machines with a legitimate version of the game. Developers of those game are now shut down or focused on their recent releases, which means they probably won't release patches.

As such, Windows should release a tool or an update to "unlock" those games

Have a setting to disable / re-enable additional processors for older games without restarting since some of the older games cannot run with all of the processors that pc's come out with these days.

Have a setting to disable / re-enable additional processors for older games without restarting since some of the older games cannot run with all of the processors that pc's come out with these days.

Since I Use Windows 10 i have one big problem with this OS. I can't run my older Games which I still have on discs in my shelf. Lots of Games I really like from my childhood can't be installed and played properly because they came with an own Copyprotection Software which are getting blocked by Windows 10 and thats a real shame. So please stop using that blocktechnique.

In w10 not enough support ro old games like GTA:sa and support for modded programs like enb.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base

About This Site

Xbox Ideas is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.

• What happened to Xbox Feedback? Start here.
      • Got a question about Xbox Ideas? Go here.
      • Check out the UserVoice Privacy Policy.
      • Need help with your Xbox experience? Find support information at http://support.xbox.com/