Find and vote for your favorite ideas for Gaming on Windows 10

Windows Should Have a Unified Gaming Library That Users Can Customize

Have a well-supported, built into the OS method of consolidating your game libraries from different providers (steam, good old games, epic store etc.) Instead of having to manage multiple launchers imdividually

552 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

77 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Burkus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An API where each launcher can informed the operating system that they have a game to download would be amazing. Currently, I have Epic games, Steam, Blizzard, Origin, Ubisoft, Ironsight launcher etc. all needing to download games.

I have to start the full fat launchers on a PC I only use at the weekend. On slower PCs, this could grind everything to a hault. I have to manage download speed for each launcher so my entire house's internet connection is not consumed.

With an API, Steam could say "hey Windows, I have an update for Rocket League and Dota, start downloading these please". A minimal Steam service (the launcher would not be started) would run and it would be managed by Windows. Windows would then intelligently allocate bandwidth to all of these requests from each launcher.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think there should be a separate launcher for Windows 10 gaming that is similar to; Steam, Battle.Net, Epic game store, etc. I think the current model is messy and leaves more to be desired. I think it would be in the best interest not to have everything tied to the windows store, and have it as a separate launcher. I think it would be nice to use the xbox app as the separate launcher for windows 10 gaming

Develop a specific Xbox Windows game library user interface which identifies Xbox One only games which can't be launched on PC, Microsoft Game Studio PC games which can only be launched on PC, and Xbox Play Anywhere games which can be launched on either. The current A-Z library configuration makes no differentiation and doesn't contain games all games owned under your Xbox account.

• Cameron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Keeping an app like this simple and not bloated is important, but it would be nice to have an area of the library for patch notes and news from the developer. Right now the only place patch notes are is on the store page and you only check the store when you buy the game, and other platforms just aggregate any mention of the game on a news site and don't make it worth reading that section.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I haven't touched on this more since I originally posted it but I thought I would revisit it and expand on my one point.

Microsoft HAS the leverage within the PC gaming market to create an OAuth type system to deal with third party DRM's.

You know how when you sign up for a site you typically can quick signup using a Facebook, Twitter or Google account? There used to be many more companies competing to be your one account sign in for the web.

Much like this; Battle.net, Origin, Uplay, Steam, Epic, Bethesda want to do that with games. But it's not going to happen because Epic sure as heck isn't going to let Fortnite be available through Battle.net and WoW isn't coming going to end up on Uplay.

But what these games, developers and and launchers all do have in common is the Windows platform. Very few people can say they have a wide collection of games on OS or Linux; those of us with a 100+, 200+ and 300+ game collection are all on Windows.

Granted, the vast majority of my games are through Steam, and they have done a fantastic job of bringing an experience that is suitable for both desktop gaming and made excellent strides with a living room experience with their Big Picture mode. But it's still lacking. It's nice. But it's not mine. It's not all of my games in one place without having to use an additional resource consuming launcher. It looks nice-ish, but it's not MINE. It's not the colors I want, maybe not even the font sizes I want and not always organized the way I want it.

I'm glad to see many people liked my idea and I would love to see it come to life. It is actually a very simple idea. Heck, the programming part is something someone like me could make into a pet project. What I, or anyone else doesn't have is the leverage that Microsoft has to get all these companies on the same page and embed an OAuth type login system and DRM for gaming at the OS level.

• inhert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a good idea. The greatest inconvenience on PC is having to deal with all the launchers.

Microsoft should abandon their own store and just have a true game browser that then runs any game no matter the launcher. All login details set up and automatically start each game.
        A slick gaming ui that can be also used for modding games with all the necessary Windows functions

This could also include default game location ( like program files folder for programs ) for games and game supporting applications only. This default game location should be on the fastest hard drive available on the system ( in case there still are HDs and SSDs on same system ). Location should be easily changed to a new location by enduser in case of hardware upgrade.

Vista had a games library feature that I think was criminally under-utilized, no gaming services really made use of it, sadly.

I think now more than ever, with every single publisher insisting they need their own games launcher, this would be really useful, but it would need to be automatic/customizable, we can't depend on devs/pubs to support it.

• stevrnic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I remember having a similar function in a previous version of Windows. It was so awesome hitting the gaming button on my sidewinder x6 keyboard and having a window pop up with all my games listed. It would be great to have this again. Maybe integrated into the Xbox app.

• DaveG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, yes, yes. I understand that for publishers with their own storefronts would probably object to this as they want their advertising front and centre whenever you load their launcher, but it's getting ridiculous now. I have 6 different launchers for games, especially when so few (well, Steam's Big Picture and to a lesser extent Uplay) have no TV-centric interface, which is where I play the majority of my PC games.

Really, a scalable UX for launching all your games (and keeping the publishers launcher in the background) would be greatly appreciated.

• Jake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such an under rated feature, my game collection is split by store and launcher, making it messy and difficult to keep track of.
        This Could be built into a "Windows Core" for gaming.

• njb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A new xbox app with a simple game library and a store where you can purchase pc games like halo gears and forza and download them directily not from the microsoft store (which definitely needs refinement). It would be even better if you can import games from other libraries and being able to launch them. The point is to create a new environment without all the apps and mobile games that have a different target audience.

• Dennis Ramberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely the most important thing to turn Windows into an awesome gaming platform. Windows is an open platform in nature, something that Microsoft should cherrish and accommodate. The fragmentation, and increase of online stores makes turn non-technical gamers towards consoles instead (often competing brands with exclusive rights). I would love to have ONE game library, collecting all pruchased games, and installed games from my own selected providers. As well as easy-access menu to their online stores. XBOX can still be relevant with amazing deals, exclusives etc. and a unified interface and central point in the operating system would also shine more spotlight on Microsofts offerings. Because now, hardly any gamer interact with the Windows Store except when we deliberately buy xbox-exclusives. That could change that central front-end becomes the first stop for "games" within the operating system.

Focus on the games,

That would be amazing! And it would really establish Windows as a gaming platform!

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base

About This Site

Xbox Ideas is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.

• What happened to Xbox Feedback? Start here.
      • Got a question about Xbox Ideas? Go here.
      • Check out the UserVoice Privacy Policy.
      • Need help with your Xbox experience? Find support information at http://support.xbox.com/