Find and vote for your favorite ideas for Gaming on Windows 10

Better multi-monitor support for watching video and gaming at the same time

When watching Netflix or YouTube on a secondary monitor while gaming on the primary monitor, there is often stuttering or hitching on the game. This is especially present if you are using monitors with different refresh rates. It is more noticeable if you full screen the video on the secondary monitor.

276 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Justin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • - commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Native support for multi-monitor gaming

Currently NVIDIA and AMD have their own ways of creating a single large multi-monitor setup that can be used on games for better situational awareness and immersion. Many games don't support such use and result in visual distortions on the edges, misplaced gui elements etc. Engaging multi-monitor mode causes some issues with normal desktop usage, switching it on and off is annoying.

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Given the prevalence of multi-monitor systems, applications which can only be run in exclusive fullscreen represent a point of tedium (and potential incompatibility) with regards to easily switching between tasks.

My proposal to deal with this situation (and allow for additional features) is a "Virtual" monitor. This monitor exists only as a logical construct - it has no fixed resolution, instead allowing it to be set almost arbitrarily, and appears essentially as a window (again of no fixed resolution) which can be positioned on one or more screens. Games can then be assigned to run on this "monitor". effectively allowing for two benefits:

1) All titles, whether they actually support it or not, can be run in a (fullscreen/borderless) window. Quicker multi-tasking, less (or no) risk of resources not being correctly re-loaded when tasking back in.

2) Allows for games to be run in higher or lower resolutions than the display they're on without requiring the actual display mode, render scaling or mouse sensitivity to be changed.

Optionally a the mouse could also be captured when the task is active, which is frequently not offered by titles which do in fact support windowed modes.

Thankyou for your consideration.

• Danilo Fuchs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a triple monitor user, when I want to game competitively with friends, such as in CS:GO, I leave the main monitor running the game and the secondary running Discord. It would be nice if I was able to create some profiles for different games and occasions. (In a more resource-intensive game, I like having only my primary monitor on)

• Jay Edry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For users with dual monitor and play with something other then a keyboard and mouse ( like xbox controller) , it would be nice to be able to play a game on one screen with the controller while simultaneously be able to search the web on the other with the mouse and keyboard.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Basically, I want to game on one monitor in full screen mode and be able to browse on the other monitor without minimizing my full screen application.

• Christian Ratcliffe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For whenever you're playing a game and don't want to have to minimize your game and anything behind it just to turn down system volume

• Joey H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have old games that doesn't support borderless window and must run fullscreen. I have multiple monitors and would like to switch focus to another program, for example skype without the game freezing as focus is lost. There are third party programs that do this but they don't work perfectly.

• Roman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have my computer set up in the same room as my TV with a long HDMI cable connecting my TV as a second display to my PC. I use this setup to be able to play full screen video games on my TV with my Xbox controller while keeping my PC monitor free to browse the internet. The problem I have is that a large amount of games have many problems when attempting this. Here are some of the problems I see:

1) Some games will ONLY ever open on the primary display and have no setting to open on a secondary display. This means that unless I intrusively switch my TV to my main display (and cause a lot of desktop stuff to move to my TV), I can't launch the game on my TV. It would be nice to allow Windows to set certain applications to use certain displays without the program needing to support this.

2) Some games will either automatically pause or automatically minimize, or lose controller input when the application is no longer in focus. This is bad when working with multiple displays because if I am playing a game on my TV but then click Skype/Discord to read a message, it will pause the game or minimize the game against my will. Better native multiple monitor support to keep the game running seamlessly with working controller input while another application gains focus would be a big help.

3) Introduce a native borderless window wrapper around full screen applications. For me, regular full screen mode is a huge pain these days because it causes all kinds of desktop problems when the resolution of the game doesn't match the desktop resolution. It causes all kinds of multitasking problems when there's lag between alt + tab to switch the application. Having this work seamlessly even for older applications that don't offer a built in borderless windowed mode would be nice. While I know there are applications that promise to switch your game to borderless windowed, the compatibility seems to be lacking, and they don't work for many games.

There are already many newer games or emulators which work with these capabilities, but the problem there is that this requires you to be using those specific applications. There are many games which are not built with these capabilities in mind, and playing these games on PC is a hassle when running with multiple displays.

• Bryan Koch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently when using multiple monitors which have refresh rates that are not a multiple of each other such as 60 and 144 or 60 and 165, DWM has no way of handling a single monitor refresh.

The lack of this feature means that games running on the faster monitor in borderless-fullscreen mode will appear to have extreme varriances in frame rate. Try the game in borderless-fullscreen and then in fullscreen (to side step DWM) and the difference is easy to see. Linux doesn't have this issue.

If there issue is hard to notice, your graphics driver is likely compensating so turn on a YouTube video on the slower monitor while you game on the faster one; the graphics driver compensation can't work when both monitors need high-performance content.

• Devin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I enjoy gaming on my t.v. that is hooked up via hdmi cable from my windows 10 pc. I would like windows 10 to more intelligently/easily allow me to switch between my gaming monitor and t.v. It is currently a major pain to switch back and forth and causes lots of resolution problems, text sizing issues, and blocks many features of my t.v. such as changing the picture quality.

allow users more freedom with resolutions etc, i have 3 screens (i will end up having 5) allow me to use my screens as one larger display at my whim

• Andreas Frede commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Enhanced support for multiple Monitors with different refresh rates

Right now while in Explorer, Windows 10 tries to sync all screens and their refresh rates. This causes the faster screen to stutter.
        This occurs only when a window is open on the slower screen.

Please make it possible to unsync the screens. In that case an 60Hz screen will be 60Hz und an 144Hz will remain it's refresh rate even when just the Desktop is visible.

It will help streamers and gamers a lot, since they won't have to set the game to "Full Screen Mode" rather than "Borderless Window" and can "TAB out of the game" whenever they want without sacrificing the game-screens performance in refresh rate.

This issue wasn't present in Windows 7 as far as I know.

• Andreas Frede commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Enhanced support for multiple Monitors with different refresh rates

Right now while in Explorer, Windows 10 tries to sync all screens and their refresh rates. This causes the faster screen to stutter.
        This occurs only when a window is open on the slower screen.

Please make it possible to unsync the screens. In that case an 60Hz screen will be 60Hz und an 144Hz will remain it's refresh rate even when just the Desktop is visible.

It will help streamers and gamers a lot, since they won't have to set the game to "Full Screen Mode" rather than "Borderless Window" and can "TAB out of the game" whenever they want without sacrificing the game-screens performance in refresh rate.

This issue wasn't present in Windows 7 as far as I know.

Windows 10 handles minimizing a game at one resolution and switching to a different desktop resolution. I, like most gamers, tend to browse or do something else while I am waiting for a match to queue. It would be nice if this were more seemless

In a multi monitor config, if I have to run a game at a non native resolution on one of my monitors, it screws over the other one and sends most of the windows into crazy positions. I'd like better monitor isolation so if I have to run a game at a lower resolution, then it doesn't mess up my other monitor.

• Vlad Teodor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Examples:
        - open the notification center on a secondary monitor when a game is already open in the primary one
        - always show notifications on the secondary monitor when a fullscreen app is open the primary monitor
        - a setting of which monitor to be used by games which don't support changing the display (to allow opening a game on a secondary monitor, for example)
        - allow setting the screen size in display setting based on display size and not resolution (good when having 2x1080p monitors of different size for example).

• Yanis Abounacer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The behaviour of a game on a multiscreen PC is often unexpected. Will the mouse leave the screen if I approach a border ? Will the game pause automatically if this happen ? It could be better to choose how the multiscreen is handled while playing for all games.

I have a four screen set up. When I launch Fifa 19 it pushes the desktop to the upper screen and other open apps to the right and some appeople windows are half outside the display area. It's a mess. I would rather everything just stay where it is, even if it's behind the game windows.

• Max Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For multi-monitor users it is cumbersome to change music playback or a video in the background while playing. If there was a key combo or shortcut that would suspend the game from receiving mouse input, and let us move our cursor to interact with other windows that would be great.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

About This Site

Xbox Ideas is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.

• What happened to Xbox Feedback? Start here.
      • Got a question about Xbox Ideas? Go here.
      • Check out the UserVoice Privacy Policy.
      • Need help with your Xbox experience? Find support information at http://support.xbox.com/