Find and vote for your favorite ideas for Gaming on Windows 10

Native Controller Support for Non-Xbox Controllers

Would love to be able to use my steam controller with out the steam client as well as other types of controllers.

199 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Marcoosio shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows DOES have native support for thirdparty controllers, it's the games that don't. Unless you want native DirectInput => Xinput conversion software, there's not much else they can do. I downloaded ReCore from the Microsoft Store and my Dualshock 4 worked natively without any sort of thirdparty programs or anything.

yeah this is what i want ever since i use the ds4 controller for rocket league since its higher polling rate, but i still have to keep a xbox controller and switch between them when i want to play xbox games or gta 5

Add native support to use a ps4 controller connected over Bluetooth

It works when plugged in over USB, but why not make it work connected over Bluetooth

• Moe Chehab commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see native wired and Bluetooth support for the PlayStation controllers mostly DualShock4 but DS3 as well.

• TheOneCode commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have a utility built in so Direct Input controllers can be mapped as X-Input controllers. Many game engines have no support for D-Input. This would make multiplayer games a lot easier to set up.

• Patrick Hughes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A lot of people play with PS4 controller and their biggest thing about using windows 10 or Xbox is that they don't like the controller. It turns a lot of my PS4 friends off that they can link there PS4 controller to PC, but cant seem to use it with out a remap program. while there is different things on each controller it could easily be done. Also i get its Microsoft product to use their Xbox controllers, but why not give people the freedom to do what ever they like. Could mean more people playing Xbox games if they are comfortable using the controller they choose.

• Joseph Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DS4 Windows worked for me one time and it is very frustrating trying to get it to work. I lost all hope but then I saw this forums page. Please Microsoft!! Give us an application that works with DS4 controllers.

• Marcell Hermanowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it would be great if there would be a easy way to registrate any x input (no name xbox controllers) or direct input (nintendo switch or older controllers) device, than beeing able to setup the button mapping and then use them as xbox 360 controller device in windows so that every game easily registrates this device.

• Shona-SoF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many games refuse to detect a gamepad if it's plugged in or woken up while the games are running. Some refuse to detect that controller even after relaunching and require a full reboot. is there any way to keep games aware of potential gamepads, even if they aren't currently connected/awake?

Support gamepad Sony Dualshock 4 with touchpad. Support Dinput by default.
        Support 2 monitors, 1 monitor to working, 2 monitor (tv!) Default for gaming with gamepad.

• Josh Chichon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow for built-in mapping and customisation of DirectInput based peripherals such as legacy, custom or third party hardware and controllers, this would help ensure a higher level of compatibility with user control schemes and let players choose to play the way they want to.

DirectInput offers a large amount of versatility and flexibility over the restricted, and very barebones XInput.

I want a genuine driver from microsoft, not some third party options which just emulate a xbox controller. That's weak and you just want to force people to use your controllers.

• Jesse Laroche commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using a Dualshock 4 is a constant battle of driver updates and third party support programs - it should be simple plug'n'play or pair'n'play.

• 1337bignose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

already cheapest phone got much many sensors then expensive XBOX 3rd gen con and Elite pad.
        and DualShock3/4 got gyro DualShock4 got front touch pad, Switch Pro Con/JoyCon got Alphs HD rumble motor and IR cam, Gyro.

support VIA Steam's Controller API like current way is add combersome logical layer to make it much worse in both Gamer and Devs.

this is OS side work to MS should do but no one work it this and abandoned many years.

we need to Extend current XInput API frozen from classic X1 pad era.
        or Open it all and Merge with ViGem like advanced projects for further Remote/Streaming Services trough Multiplatform/Multicontrollers.

already Parsec do a thing except Motor ******** and Motion Sensor inputs like few things and MS already working on simmilar things for further game streaming services.

current additional sensor api is for Windows Tablet and MR/Kinect like things,
        not for Gaming Input device like Separated, Exclusive ones.

Please provide some form of native Windows 10 support / compatibility for third-party controllers, for example the Dualshock controllers.

Gaming on PC will never be limited to exclusively Microsoft hardware.
        Gamers really don't care about the (economic) competition between companies, all we want to do is plug and play.

Please provide some form of native Windows 10 support / compatibility for third-party controllers, for example the Dualshock controllers.

Gaming on PC will never be limited to exclusively Microsoft hardware.
        Gamers really don't care about the (economic) competition between companies, all we want to do is plug and play.

• Abraham Murciano Benzadon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As someone who plays on play station and on PC, I tried using my PS3 controller for games on Windows, but it is not easy to set up, and I'd rather not have to require many different types of controllers. If windows supported PS controllers like they did Xbox ones it would be so much more convenient for so many others.

none of my games (mostly Forza) through windows store work with my PS4 controller I got for steam and I feel like I shouldn't have to buy another controller

Add support for Xbox One fight sticks to PC. Currently the triggers do not work and they need to be rewired into a 6 button stick which is very frustrating.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

About This Site

Xbox Ideas is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a feature suggestion, it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to the UserVoice License Terms.

• What happened to Xbox Feedback? Start here.
      • Got a question about Xbox Ideas? Go here.
      • Check out the UserVoice Privacy Policy.
      • Need help with your Xbox experience? Find support information at http://support.xbox.com/